You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I gain access to my deceased cousins MacBook if I don’t know his password or Apple ID?

How can I gain access to my deceased cousins MacBook if I don’t have his password or Apple ID?

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 8:42 AM

11 replies

Oct 13, 2022 2:17 PM in response to Debbie-C13

Debbie-C13 wrote:

This is not helpful if I don’t know his Apple ID and password now I have a new MacBook I can’t use and my aunt cannot see his photos she is distraught

Those are the instructions for gaining access to an Apple ID for this and similar cases, and describe how to gain the access you want.

Also for anyone else here using an Apple ID, here is how to specify a legacy contact, which makes granting this access somewhat easier to each of us and to our beneficiaries:

Legacy Contact security - Apple Support

How to add a Legacy Contact for your Apple ID - Apple Support

Oct 13, 2022 2:45 PM in response to Debbie-C13

Debbie-C13 wrote:

My 37 year old cousin has just died. I have his death certificate, and the receipt for the infernal machine. I fully understand the legal ramifications and do support them but my question still remains unanswered. How can I see these precious photos if I can’t find anyone to help me get a court order. I’m sure he would have made provisions if he knew his life was to have been cut so short. Don’t answer this please this is just too distressing and I’m coming out of this group.

Your option for access is here: How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Without the required legal paperwork, this is indistinguishable from someone trying to socially engineer or “con” or “scam” their way into the data of another, attempts which happen far more often than any of us would prefer. The legal paperwork is part of how the privacy of and security of all of our Apple IDs and all of our data is preserved.

Oct 13, 2022 2:28 PM in response to Debbie-C13

The problems include:

• How would Apple know you are the legal owner and not a thief who stole the computer. and now want access? If they gave you access they could be in legal trouble with the owner.
  • Maybe the original owner did not provide anyone the user credentials because they did not want anyone to have access to the data.
  • If you lose your computer and someone who finds it asks Apple to provide access and they do provide access, would you be happy?

The issue is not simple hence the instructions you were provided.

Oct 13, 2022 2:28 PM in response to Debbie-C13

Debbie-C13 wrote:

It asks for the Apple ID of the deceased person and I don’t have it.

For most folks, it’s their primary email address.

It also asks for a court order, I have contacted 5 solicitors today who said they couldn’t help me.

The solicitor assisting with or handling the estate and with the will would be a contact for assistance.

So no. The article was not helpful in the least

You will have to acquire that proof for Apple to grant access, regardless. If you don’t, then this case is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen Mac. This is also why the legacy contact makes this all easier for the survivors.

Oct 13, 2022 2:36 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

My 37 year old cousin has just died. I have his death certificate, and the receipt for the infernal machine. I fully understand the legal ramifications and do support them but my question still remains unanswered. How can I see these precious photos if I can’t find anyone to help me get a court order. I’m sure he would have made provisions if he knew his life was to have been cut so short. Don’t answer this please this is just too distressing and I’m coming out of this group.

Oct 13, 2022 4:10 PM in response to Debbie-C13

Debbie-C13 wrote:

But how do I get a court order I’ve phoned five solicitors today who knew nothing about this and couldn’t help me. Sending me the same article again is not helpful

You find a solicitor willing to accept the request, or—if permissible within your local legal jurisdiction—you read up on requirements and procedures, and represent yourself in court.

I’m not qualified to provide legal advice. Nor are most others here, I’d suspect.

We have provided you with what we can.

The rest is up to you.

How can I gain access to my deceased cousins MacBook if I don’t know his password or Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.