You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean Install macOS Ventura

I have a little OCD, so on previous Macs, would format the SSD before reinstalling the latest version of macOS.

I’ve just purchased a 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro. It was pre-installed with macOS Monterey.

I upgraded to Ventura then formatted the SSD, but when choosing to reinstall macOS, it reverts to downloading Monterey.

Is there any way to clean install macOS and retain Ventura?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 10:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 11:46 AM

If it's a new M1 Mac and it came with Monterey there's no reason for a clean install. I've been using Macs since 1984 and have never done or needed to do a clean install, particularly with new Macs.

To do a clean install you would need to create s bootable installer according to this Apple document, Create a bootable installer for macOS, boot into it, erase the boot drive fully and run the installer. It's a lot of effort.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2022 11:46 AM in response to Community User

If it's a new M1 Mac and it came with Monterey there's no reason for a clean install. I've been using Macs since 1984 and have never done or needed to do a clean install, particularly with new Macs.

To do a clean install you would need to create s bootable installer according to this Apple document, Create a bootable installer for macOS, boot into it, erase the boot drive fully and run the installer. It's a lot of effort.

Jan 5, 2023 7:01 AM in response to BaliMac

I imagine if all one does is email and surf the web with Safari, then no, you might never have needed to do a clean install. Things are different now with Apple Silicon Macs and a clean install may be a thing of the past for the new Macs, or so I hear. Regardless, one way to skip Monterey when doing a clean install is to download Ventura and make a bootable drive to install it from as outlined in the following Macworld article.

https://www.macworld.com/article/668644/how-to-clean-install-macos-on-your-mac.html

Clean Install macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.