You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura to Monterey downgrade

Hey guys i bough a new macbook pro m2 with ventura on it

now i tried to downgrade the macos to monterey with a usb boot but when i get to the step where you can choose the hd it just say "update cant be installed"

the usb drive is correctly booted and i already deleted all data from the hd.

could someone help me with this problem? i want to install monterey to bypass an mdm

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 6:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 7:28 AM

Bk1332 wrote:

now i tried to downgrade the macos to monterey with a usb boot but when i get to the step where you can choose the hd it just say "update cant be installed"

could someone help me with this problem? i want to install monterey to bypass an mdm

Even if you could install macOS 12 Monterey, which it can not be done.

The MDM Service has the computer Serial Number registered in their Data Base.

The moment the computer was Wiped and a New Installation was performed - the MDM Service could eventual Reinstall their MDM Service back onto this computer

That would effectively Nullify what the user is attempting to achieve

Not what the user wants to hear but none the less, factual

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2023 7:28 AM in response to Bk1332

Bk1332 wrote:

Even if you could install macOS 12 Monterey, which it can not be done.

The MDM Service has the computer Serial Number registered in their Data Base.

The moment the computer was Wiped and a New Installation was performed - the MDM Service could eventual Reinstall their MDM Service back onto this computer

That would effectively Nullify what the user is attempting to achieve

Not what the user wants to hear but none the less, factual

Jul 19, 2023 5:12 PM in response to Bk1332

I would like Montery too, Ventura broke support for many Audio drivers that worked under Montery on my M1 mac. I didn't think that upgrading to a M2 would have broken my audio setup and now the only option that I have left is to sell my M2 and buy back my old M1 mini.

Apple could add M2 hardware support to Monterey, as it is still updated, and so is Big Sur.

It would be a lovely solutions for many of us that wanted to upgrade the hardware but are now suffering for the lack of Driver support from third party companies.

I keep reading it is not possible, but is it really so?

Or is it just a policy Apple adopts?

If it is a policy, then it might be possible somehow?

Jul 19, 2023 7:57 PM in response to Yoghurt259

Yoghurt259 wrote:

I would like Montery too, Ventura broke support for many Audio drivers that worked under Montery on my M1 mac. I didn't think that upgrading to a M2 would have broken my audio setup and now the only option that I have left is to sell my M2 and buy back my old M1 mini.

Apple could add M2 hardware support to Monterey, as it is still updated, and so is Big Sur.
It would be a lovely solutions for many of us that wanted to upgrade the hardware but are now suffering for the lack of Driver support from third party companies.

I keep reading it is not possible, but is it really so?
Or is it just a policy Apple adopts?
If it is a policy, then it might be possible somehow?

I think maybe you should rethink your plan. Soon a new MacOS will be released, and then Monterey will be two versions of the OS behind. Those third party companies need to update their products, or they too will be left behind and be obsolete. I don't think it is realistic to expect Apple to be updating its latest hardware to run an older OS. The vast majority of users simply update to and run the latest MacOS that their machine presents them with in Software Update. I think there is something amiss if a company hasn't updated their drivers to run beyond Monterey.

Jul 20, 2023 1:27 AM in response to Yoghurt259

Technically, the Apple Silicon Computers, M1 or newer M2, both run the same Machine Code ( Binaries Code ).

Third Party Developers all have the opportunity to Beta Test there software, well before Ventura was released October 24, 2022.

Should they choose not avail themselves of the Beta Testing on a known and expected release of Ventura - that is on them not Apple.

Apple nether Owns or Develops their Operating System to match up with Third Party Software or Third Party Audio drivers.

They never have nor would I expect them to change this anytime soon.

Ventura to Monterey downgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.