You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to downgrade to monterey

I have a Macbook Air M2, 2022 running Ventura out of the box. I want to downgrade to Monterey. In the past I have used the following process to upgrade from earlier OS's to Monterey, but this process is not working for me to downgrade. I have a bootable usb drive with the Monterey installer plugged in. I hold the power button and boot to the installer. I quit the installation and then open Disk Utility. I show all devices and click on the top level (Apple SSD) and Erase (APFS, GUID Partition Map). Now normally at this point I would be able to just click Erase, and then exit Disk Utility and proceed to install Monterey. However in this case, now it is prompting me to "Erase and Restart", in other words I can't just erase and then go straight to Disk Utility. After restarting I'm prompted to connect to WiFi and then Activate Mac. After doing that I shut down, and then hold down power again and boot to the Monterey Installer. However now when I click on Macintosh HD to install the OS it says "The update cannot be installed on this computer". What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 5:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 2:52 AM

A lot of work has been done and bravo for attempting.

Though, as mentioned, the M2 MBA 2022 Originally came with Ventura Out Of the Box

You may contact Apple Directly to confirm IF this can or can not be Downgraded Before attempting the below

Sorry to inform that M-Class Apple Silicon Computer do not work the same as Apple Intel based computers to Wipe and Reinstall the OS

This article may or may provide the requires steps to successfully downgrade.

https://www.howtoisolve.com/downgrade-macos-ventura-to-macos-monterey/

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2022 2:52 AM in response to cardinal701

A lot of work has been done and bravo for attempting.

Though, as mentioned, the M2 MBA 2022 Originally came with Ventura Out Of the Box

You may contact Apple Directly to confirm IF this can or can not be Downgraded Before attempting the below

Sorry to inform that M-Class Apple Silicon Computer do not work the same as Apple Intel based computers to Wipe and Reinstall the OS

This article may or may provide the requires steps to successfully downgrade.

https://www.howtoisolve.com/downgrade-macos-ventura-to-macos-monterey/

how to downgrade to monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.