You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernal panic issue

Hello All,

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with recently upgraded to 16gb (2x 8gb cards) RAM from only 4gb (2 x 2gb cards previously). Prior to changing the RAM I was having the computer constantly switch off, with the 3 BEEPS and only resetting the (option+command+r+p) was getting it to even start.

I think I had to do this in total 10 times, before deciding to get the new RAM.

Since installing the 16gb RAM, the computer has behaving really well, very fast and somewhat like brand-new and for 2 weeks it has been great.Until, this week, when KERNAL PANICS struck.... I've had my computer re-start on me about 6 separate times since Monday (4 days ago).

I have taken out the RAM and re-installed twice since this happened and the kernal panics are still happening.

Here's the report if anyone knows how to interpret and tell me what is currently going wrong with my machine.... Error codes attached in Additional notes.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 6:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 3:49 PM

16 GB is an unsupported configuration for your model Mac.

"Unsupported" does not mean "it will not work" but it does mean unexpected things may occur — as you appear to be experiencing.

I suggest using Apple Hardware Test in an effort to isolate the cause. You will need to boot from its original, grey, Applications Install Disc 2.

How to use Apple Hardware Test (archived)

If you cannot locate that disc the Internet version of AHT may be available. Anecdotal reports indicate it is no longer available.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 4, 2022 3:49 PM in response to DrHypnotic66

16 GB is an unsupported configuration for your model Mac.

"Unsupported" does not mean "it will not work" but it does mean unexpected things may occur — as you appear to be experiencing.

I suggest using Apple Hardware Test in an effort to isolate the cause. You will need to boot from its original, grey, Applications Install Disc 2.

How to use Apple Hardware Test (archived)

If you cannot locate that disc the Internet version of AHT may be available. Anecdotal reports indicate it is no longer available.

Nov 5, 2022 6:09 PM in response to DrHypnotic66

Instead of upgrading the memory, you should have first identified the cause of the original memory issue by determining if one of the original RAM modules was bad, or one of the memory slots. Many times the memory slot nearest the Bottom Case goes bad due to cracked solder joints.

Also, what is the make & model of the memory you installed? Macs are very picky about the memory they use so it is best to only use memory from Crucial or OWC. Even if you are using Crucial memory...is it labeled as "For Mac" or "Mac Compatible"? The modules may not have this on their label anymore, but the plastic packaging the memory shipped in should have had it written on the packaging. This goes to show that not all Crucial memory is compatible with a Mac. I'm not saying other brands of memory won't work, but it is much harder to be sure the other memory is compatible with a Mac since Apple does not publish all of the technical details to ensure compatibility since the main speed is not enough to ensure compatibility.

While you can use the Apple Diagnostics to try to test the RAM, it is not very thorough. A more thorough test is using a bootable Memtest86 USB stick. If the default Memtest86 settings don't find a problem, then try customizing the Memtest86 CPU settings to "Sequential" or "Round Robin". I've been able to use this to provide more repeatable failures in order to better identify which RAM module or RAM slot may be bad. While Memtest86 may show a memory error, in my own personal experience recently...many times the test will just freeze the computer which is just as useful to figure out which RAM module or slot is bad.

Kernal panic issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.