You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete individual files from Time Machine backup

Hi, all. I have a TM backup that's full and I need to delete some of the larger files that are on the drive in old backups. How do I delete individual files in the TM backups?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 10:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 12:14 AM

It may not be possible. If it is the new APFS format, you can’t delete anything. If it is the older HFS+ format, Enter Time Machine, find the files, ctrl-click on them and choose remove from backup. I don’t know if that is still possible as I don’t have one to check.

10 replies

Nov 6, 2022 1:04 AM in response to Mike Cuenca

Will concede to the more learned contributor on this question.

Personally do not use TM Backup but another form of backup namely Clone and perform this on a daily basis.

If as mentioned earlier and it can not be done -->>

Suggest getting a new Erie with at least 2 1/2 Greater Drive Capacity that the Internal Drive Capacity.

Then put aside the existing TM Drive for safe keeping and start a New TM Backup regime on the new drive.

This would provide access to the Old Data and still have the protection on the new drive.

Users' choice for what best works for their setup

Nov 5, 2022 2:34 AM in response to Mike Cuenca

Mike Cuenca wrote:

Hi, all. I have a TM backup that's full and I need to delete some of the larger files that are on the drive in old backups. How do I delete individual files in the TM backups?

By individual files does the user actually mean Individual " Snap Shots" that TM Backup has made and stored on the TM Backup Drive ?

Nov 5, 2022 4:39 PM in response to Barney-15E

Your answer is incorrect or poorly worded. Even with an APFS Time Machine backup, you can delete individual snapshots.

To do so, open the drive in the Finder, select a date, then right-click to select "Delete Immediately."

I hope other readers don't see your response and believe that you can't delete anything.

I know that. I'm trying to find out/confirm that we can no longer delete files that are in the snapshots. It's a drag if we can't.

Nov 6, 2022 4:51 AM in response to Mike Cuenca

An APFS backup drive is read only to the user.

How would you possibly know what is backed up in any particular snapshot in order to determine which is appropriate to delete?

And, you should never attempt to circumvent Time Machine by manipulating it outside of its interface. You’ll just end up corrupting it so it is no longer useful. Because of the way snapshots work, it may now be possible to hack away at it as you describe, but why in the world would you risk destroying your backup. Some people only have the one.

How to delete individual files from Time Machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.