You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How best to upgrade physical Apple TV device?

I've been using a 3rd gen Apple TV, and just received the 2022 Apple TV.

A brain-dead physical swap turns out to be very painful, both because I have to re-download all the apps and arrange them as I had previously, and because I then have to sign in to each or allow them to access my TV provider's subscription info.

Surely there's a better way.

While there was an option to keep ALL Apple TV's in the house with the same setup, I definitely do not want that either.

Is there a way, for example, to back up and restore one specific Apple TV setup to a new device?

Thank you.

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 9:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 12:36 PM

Unfortunately, having to log into each app individually is just something you're going to have to do. Those settings do not sync to the cloud. On the plus side, once you get logged in you generally only have to do it once (TV Anywhere apps like NBC, ABC, etc. are the exceptions to this). Also, Apple TV settings do not get synced the cloud either.

For the apps, though, you can enable One Home Screen on all the Apple TVs in the house, then all your apps will automatically get installed onto the new device and all you will have to do is login to each one.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 7, 2022 12:36 PM in response to just another geek

Unfortunately, having to log into each app individually is just something you're going to have to do. Those settings do not sync to the cloud. On the plus side, once you get logged in you generally only have to do it once (TV Anywhere apps like NBC, ABC, etc. are the exceptions to this). Also, Apple TV settings do not get synced the cloud either.

For the apps, though, you can enable One Home Screen on all the Apple TVs in the house, then all your apps will automatically get installed onto the new device and all you will have to do is login to each one.

Nov 6, 2022 1:42 PM in response to just another geek

Thank you for that, @Rudegar! Sorry for my confusion/bad information.

I do indeed still have one of those (3G), but the one I'm replacing is the next gen ("HD"), with the user-installable apps.

I'm impressed that your info transferred right over. Was that with accepting the prompt to have the same apps/experience everywhere?

How best to upgrade physical Apple TV device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.