You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still collab on shared docs if I upgrade to Ventura and others haven't?

Hello :)

My work partner is on an older device that can't make the upgrade to Ventura. I'd like to make the upgrade myself, but hesitant because we share a lot of Pages and Keynote docs.

I know we had some issues years ago where we suddenly couldn't access each others docs within our desktop/laptop apps because someone wasn't able to run the latest versions of the apps in the older OS.

Do you know if one device upgrading to Ventura will sever shared docs with others using a previous OS? I'm guessing it has more to do with newer and older versions of the apps not allowing it, but if I go to Ventura and it automatically updates my Pages, Keynote, etc and we're then unknowingly using different app versions too, then I'd want to avoid that.

The key is we'd like to ensure we can still use the apps on our devices, not have to access the browser versions to be able to continue sharing.

Thank you for any insight!

iMac 24″

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 6:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 5:22 AM

The version of Pages for collaboration purposes must be on macOS Monterey or later, iOS/iPadOS 15 or later, and Pages v12.2 or later on those platforms.

See Intro to collaboration in Pages - Apple Support

4 replies

Nov 11, 2022 5:11 AM in response to Trouncy76

It might work, then again might not....you can always setup a test partition with Disk Utility if your hard drive is big enough and install Ventura on that, and then see if the corresponding works for anything intended. If not, then you'll probably want to keep using older hardware and software until the collaboration capabilities have been fixed.

There are other collaboration tools that are cross platform that are less likely to be as sensitive.

One thing that can be a real bear is that once Apple updates the Apps in the App Store it is harder to retain older versions, so always clone your systems to ensure that you aren't totally dependent on the App Store.

Nov 12, 2022 3:50 PM in response to a brody

Thank you for your response! I always go back and forth on whether to use other tools for collaboration. I really want the Apple apps to be reliable in this way. And they have in many ways, especially since they are my preferred apps to use. I just know all it takes is upgrading an app one too many versions and suddenly I've lost the in-app ability to collab with others not able to make the upgrade. I guess its the risk I have to decide whether or not to take ;)

Nov 12, 2022 3:53 PM in response to VikingOSX

Cool. I do know they are on Monterey, but I'll double-check those version numbers for Pages, I think that will be a nice thing to at least look into. I should probably then make sure my auto-update for the apps is not on so I can make sure I don't accidentally update beyond the other person's reach. Thank you for the information!

Can I still collab on shared docs if I upgrade to Ventura and others haven't?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.