You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will not update or upgrade

I can’r update or upgrade my operating system from 12.6.1M    Monterey to Ventura 13.1.

I am on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)   Memory: 8 GB   Memory: 8 GB   System Firmware Version:8419.41.10

Can you give me a clue?  I am also getting an exceptional amount of popups and unwanted advertising Is there anything I can do? What about the program 

“Stop The Madness”?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 11:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 11:27 AM

Download Etrecheck, it is a diagnostic tool that often reveals what the cause of the problem is. Run Etrecheck and post the output here using the Additional text button below.

Also, you may have malware downloaded unintentionally. Etrecheck often shows this if it is present. You can also download and run the free version of Malwarebytes to remove any malware.

Do you have any "cleaning" programs or anti-virus or security suites installed? These often interfere with the MacOS normal processes. Etrecheck should also show those but if you have any such tools installed, best to completely uninstall them using the vendor's uninstallers.

I would do the above to get to and fix the root cause. However you can also boot into Safe Mode and try the update from there, that often bypasses installed items and MIGHT work.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 12, 2022 11:27 AM in response to Katherine Vollmer

Download Etrecheck, it is a diagnostic tool that often reveals what the cause of the problem is. Run Etrecheck and post the output here using the Additional text button below.

Also, you may have malware downloaded unintentionally. Etrecheck often shows this if it is present. You can also download and run the free version of Malwarebytes to remove any malware.

Do you have any "cleaning" programs or anti-virus or security suites installed? These often interfere with the MacOS normal processes. Etrecheck should also show those but if you have any such tools installed, best to completely uninstall them using the vendor's uninstallers.

I would do the above to get to and fix the root cause. However you can also boot into Safe Mode and try the update from there, that often bypasses installed items and MIGHT work.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Nov 12, 2022 2:33 PM in response to Katherine Vollmer

Q - I can’r update or upgrade my operating system from 12.6.1  Monterey to Ventura 13.1.

A1 - The current version of Monterey is 11.7.1. Attempting to upgrade from an outdated version tends to increase the chance of a Bad Experience

A2 - There is no Ventura 13.1 that has been released to the Public for general usage. That version 13.1 is a Beta Version and only Developers and persons who have Enrolled for Beta Test can download that version

A3 - There is a version 13.0.1 of Ventura that is a latest Stable Version.

A4 - Suggest using the very good suggestion from previous posting above to Trouble Shoot this computer issue

Will not update or upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.