You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos has 36 GB and I cant find out how to get less.

My storage is so high and my photos had 36 GB and don’t know how to make it lower.

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 2:18 PM

Do you agree with that 36GB of storage for Photos? Do you have about 5 - 10 thousand photos / videos on your iPhone?

If you agree with 36GB fo space attributed to the photos on your iPhone, then you can reduce the used up storage space by:

1. Deleting the Photos/Videos that you do not need to keep OR
  2. 👉 Exporting the photos from your iPhone to a computer OR
  3. By  purchasing 👉 iCloud Storage from Apple where you create and save your iPhone backups and synch (Not Store) your Messages, Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes and Reminders. Note that iCloud Storage is NOT an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone. You can choose to Optimize Storage on your iPhone for all the Photos. What this action will do is store your original quality photos on iCloud and a small size photo on your iPhone. This takes up less space on your iPhone while maintaining the actual size on iCloud. This will free up space on your iPhone while making good use of iCloud. If you would like to try this then open Settings ➡️ Photos ▶️ Optimize iPhone Storage : Ensure that this option is chosen and has a checkmark on it.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2022 2:18 PM in response to Jojomcflowflow

Do you agree with that 36GB of storage for Photos? Do you have about 5 - 10 thousand photos / videos on your iPhone?

If you agree with 36GB fo space attributed to the photos on your iPhone, then you can reduce the used up storage space by:

1. Deleting the Photos/Videos that you do not need to keep OR
  2. 👉 Exporting the photos from your iPhone to a computer OR
  3. By  purchasing 👉 iCloud Storage from Apple where you create and save your iPhone backups and synch (Not Store) your Messages, Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes and Reminders. Note that iCloud Storage is NOT an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone. You can choose to Optimize Storage on your iPhone for all the Photos. What this action will do is store your original quality photos on iCloud and a small size photo on your iPhone. This takes up less space on your iPhone while maintaining the actual size on iCloud. This will free up space on your iPhone while making good use of iCloud. If you would like to try this then open Settings ➡️ Photos ▶️ Optimize iPhone Storage : Ensure that this option is chosen and has a checkmark on it.

Axel F.

My photos has 36 GB and I cant find out how to get less.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.