You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing all files locally & using iCloud for a backup copy ONLY?

How do you stop iCloud from moving all files out to iCloud.

Some files appear to have been deleted in this process & I have no idea why.

I want my SSD backup storage to have ALL my files, but iCloud defeats that.

There appears to be no way on the iCloud website to understand user options to prevent originals from leaving my MB Pro.

What options are available?

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 11:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 11:58 AM

If you go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the sidebar) > Optimize Mac Storage (near the bottom of the main window) and remove the checkmark, then a local copy of all of your files will be kept on the Mac. You can access them from the Finder Sidebar - iCloud Drive or from the Finder GO menu - iCloud Drive and they will be included in Time Machine backups to an external device.

There is a similar option for Photos in the Photos app Preferences.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2022 11:58 AM in response to BEClawson

If you go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the sidebar) > Optimize Mac Storage (near the bottom of the main window) and remove the checkmark, then a local copy of all of your files will be kept on the Mac. You can access them from the Finder Sidebar - iCloud Drive or from the Finder GO menu - iCloud Drive and they will be included in Time Machine backups to an external device.

There is a similar option for Photos in the Photos app Preferences.

Storing all files locally & using iCloud for a backup copy ONLY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.