You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud as backup only

The mistake I've made is probably common. I uploaded files to iCloud in order to make more space on my local drive. But now, iCloud appears as part of my local drive and I have created no additional space on the local drive. I want files sent to the cloud to be separate from my local files. Is this possible. In other words, I want the files I send to the cloud to simply be stored there and not constantly synced to my local drive. Then I want to delete the same files from my local drive to make more space on the local drive. How can I accomplish this? Thanks!

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 4:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 4:33 PM

iCloud is primarily a synchronization service. Anything in iCloud is also on your device. you can elect to optimize files. If your device needs space, then the oldest/least accessed/largest files will be offloaded to the cloud only.

5 replies

Sep 10, 2023 5:45 PM in response to kotodama56

The easiest way is to drag any folders out of iCloud Drive and onto your desktop or into your documents folder (provided you do not sync desktop and documents), then turn off syncing. If you sync desktop and documents, drag your folders to some other location in your home folder temporarily first. Then turn off sync and move your files wherever you would like.

Sep 10, 2023 6:12 PM in response to kotodama56

kotodama56 wrote:

Sincere thanks for your replies. I understand now. How can I get my files off of iCloud to solely rely on my local drive(s) again? iCloud is too convoluted for my purposes. I just want a way to open up space on my system drive by keeping older files elsewhere. Period.

There are other cloud services that have options to do that. I believe Dropbox and OneDrive have that option and possibly also Google Drive.

iCloud as backup only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.