You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Stereo Audio Capture possible on Twitch using an Apple Mac?

I am having trouble capturing stereo audio in my game capture card. The Capture card advertises "Stereo" yet seems to want to go into 96 kHz Mono.

Originally I wanted to mix my surround sound into headphone surrounds using a Turtle Beach DSS1 and output that.

There are 2 outputs, a USB A Female output and a TRS 3.5mm output.

I couldn't get the USB output recognized on my Mac, which is a 2018 Mac mini i3 with OS 13.0.1

I could get audio inputs into my computer in TRS mode, but there are some weird properties.

If I plug a stereo input, both OBS and my Operating system recognizes that as Mono.

If I separate the 2 lines to the Mac into 2 different headphone ports, on Twitch, my broadcast gives off a high pitched squeal and makes the game almost inaudible.

My streaming program is Open Broadcast System. OBS. I use it to show multiple cameras at once, and non every third Thursday of the month, I put the left eyes in red, the right eyes in Cyan, and do an Anagluyph 3d broadcast.

There are many devices for "in streaming". Apple TV being one of them. But I don't know any other way to "out stream" a show on Twitch. There s no Outstream console I know of, The only operating systems that OBS works for is Windows and Mac, and there's some people in the house who won't do Windows. Even if I wanted to, there are security concerns. If apple doesn't do Stereo on live game streams, then there's no "virus free" way of streaming out in Stereo (or even headphone surround) with OBS.

Any one got some suggestions on how to get my game footage in Stereo, and then from there, I'll work on getting it in headphone surround.

One Apple tech person told me that Stereo inputs is considered a Pro feature, and I have to buy a Pro upgrade of some sort to access stereo inputs.

Others suggest my capture card is not Stereo to begin with. Can anyone recommend a USB capture card that works in Stereo without an upgrade?

BTW, All I need are Stereo (2 track uncompressed) inputs for headphone surround because a Turtle Beach DSS1 takes Dolby Digital and converts it into Dolby Headphones, a 2 track soundtrack that sounds in surround when listened to in over the ear headphones..

I'll take whatever works and is combined cheapest and easiest.

Do I have to go into the virus filled waters of PC land in order to get my stereo inputs streamed on Twitch?

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 7:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 12:54 PM

Well I probably answered my own question that probably the analog component that was in question was kind of worn out. Also I bought a specific stereo input on Amazon. (The eBay ones I didn't trust because I didn't know if the search engine understood what I meant it only gave me stereo headphones not microphones.)

I figured if they sold something today on Amazon that was new that said it worked with Mac then chances are it would work with Mac or else the FTC would bust them for lying in trade print about being Mac compatible.

So yes I don't have to become a pc user. Thank you independebt third parties.

Come to think of it Mac OS has 20% of the OS Market but Apple is the number one computer brand. If these certain booby traps were true I wouldn't be the lone voice there probably be quite a few voices against it, an apple being the consumer friendly company they are (in a certain way) would probably offer a legitimate way to do such a thing as streaning game footage in stereo if my currently withdrawn accusation were to have been true.

Consider this my apology to Apple.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2022 12:54 PM in response to tripletopper

Well I probably answered my own question that probably the analog component that was in question was kind of worn out. Also I bought a specific stereo input on Amazon. (The eBay ones I didn't trust because I didn't know if the search engine understood what I meant it only gave me stereo headphones not microphones.)

I figured if they sold something today on Amazon that was new that said it worked with Mac then chances are it would work with Mac or else the FTC would bust them for lying in trade print about being Mac compatible.

So yes I don't have to become a pc user. Thank you independebt third parties.

Come to think of it Mac OS has 20% of the OS Market but Apple is the number one computer brand. If these certain booby traps were true I wouldn't be the lone voice there probably be quite a few voices against it, an apple being the consumer friendly company they are (in a certain way) would probably offer a legitimate way to do such a thing as streaning game footage in stereo if my currently withdrawn accusation were to have been true.

Consider this my apology to Apple.

Nov 26, 2022 7:59 PM in response to tripletopper

Apparently when I called 1-800aplcare, I was on a call for an hour trying to find a way to be able to legitimately stream my game sound in stereo without having it mixed in mono. I was bounced around between sales and tech support and advanced tech support and pro level apps support and no one can give me a straight answer.

Before cell phones became popular I did almost all my computing on a Mac now that cell phone computing is cheap the only thing I really use my Mac for 90% of the time is related to my twitch stream. The last 10% deal with communications and social dealings that are only possible on a PC or Mac.

I tried looking for an honest answer of how I could stay on the Apple Mac ecosystem and still get my needs met of having a stereo video capture card.

Does anyone else use OBS on Macintosh? If so can you stream with the sound intact? If so is that sound stereo or mono when it goes out to stream?

If anyone's got any advice about a way to capture video game sound effects directly in headphone sutround sound, with which I only need some way to merge a TRS 3.5 mm audio signal with an HDMI signal or capture its independently on a dongle, then I would be fine and probably stay in the Mac ecosystem. But if I have to choose between Mac OS and twitch video game footage on w PC, is it worth going off the McIntosh ecosystem just for this big thing.

Recently in the past couple months people have been complaining about a high-pitched squeal on stream.

If most of my practical applications are now done on my phone then really what would a Mac offer that a PC can't when 90% of the time I'm on my phone?

I know I'm less than 10% of the users that are comboed as Macintosh/Android. Should I remain in this limbo state or should I go PC/Android?

By the way if I have to justify why I'm MAC Android I started with Mac in 1999 when the internet became big enough for us to be aware of it. Before that we had an Atari 800 and Apple IIe which lasted forever so far.

One time when I tried emulating PC I made a mistake and had someone take over the PC side thankfully there I didn't have much on the PC side except games and the Macintosh section was protected from it.

When it came time to get my first phone around 2018 I chose Android because I'm new to both Android and iOS and I had to pick something and the one thing Android has that's iOS didn't that I liked was the ability to do stereoscopic capture with external cameras.

Any twitch users who use their Mac as a streaming machine able to capture consoles in Stereo accurately? If so how do you do it? My Mac mixes everything to mono and if you try using two analog ports that are mono captures it sends a squelch through as feedback almost like a security system as reliably as two sources touch a Mac every single instance goes off with the squelch.

How do other people do it without the squelch interfering?

Is Stereo Audio Capture possible on Twitch using an Apple Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.