You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Locking Randomly

For some reason the keyboard on my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) will randomly lock itself. When it locks, it registers the fact I am hitting keys by making a clicking sound, but the machine won't allow me to type. To fix this problem, I need to open another app, type something on there, and then return to original app... at which point I am free to type again. It happens on Pages, Notes, Safari, Music, etc. It's driving me absolutely bananas. Any ideas what's wrong? I have the feeling it happens when I make a false keystroke, but I am not sure about this.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 5:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 9:24 AM

Hi MKindellan13,

When you encounter this issue, do you see a flashing vertical line where you should be able to type? Or without exiting that app, if you click on an area where you should be able to type are you then able to?

If so, it may just be that you're mousing out of a dialogue box or area where you can type in a given app. If it's giving a feedback sound, that is likely because you're attempting to type without having an area where you'd like to type selected.

Let us know if that helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2022 9:24 AM in response to MKindellan13

Hi MKindellan13,

When you encounter this issue, do you see a flashing vertical line where you should be able to type? Or without exiting that app, if you click on an area where you should be able to type are you then able to?

If so, it may just be that you're mousing out of a dialogue box or area where you can type in a given app. If it's giving a feedback sound, that is likely because you're attempting to type without having an area where you'd like to type selected.

Let us know if that helps.

Cheers!

Keyboard Locking Randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.