You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On an iPhone or iPad, how can I prevent the numbers & symbols keyboard layout from switching back to the letters layout when I press the spacebar?

I would like to be able use spaces in numbers and formulas, but the keyboard layout always switches back from numbers & symbols layout to the alphabet layout whenever the spacebar is used. Is there a way to prevent the spacebar from always returning the layout to letters?

As a very brief example, attempting to enter “1 + 2” would cause two automatic switches back to the alphabet keyboard, while typing “1+2” all mashed together wouldn’t.

I’m using iOS 16+, English (US) QUERTY keyboard, iPhone & iPad. (I thought there was a setting but I can’t find it now… it could have been many versions of iOS ago.)

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 3:12 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

On an iPhone or iPad, how can I prevent the numbers & symbols keyboard layout from switching back to the letters layout when I press the spacebar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.