You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attachments Disappear from Messages on MacBook but Stay on iPhone and iPad

Hello, thought I'd rekindle this, as I bought a new macbook air M2 running Ventura 13.0.1.

If someone iMessages me a picture, image is replaced with a 'piece of paper' icon on the macbook air after a day or two, or after I restart. I haven't figured out the actual pattern, but actual images never disappear on my iOS devices. On the mac, I have FOREVER checked for message retention and don't have the settings in PHOTOS that are mentioned earlier in the thread. This appeas to be a bug in MacOS that has been around for a while, unless there is some setting I am missing. Thank you for your help!

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 10:18 PM

4 replies

Jan 2, 2023 10:09 AM in response to Brad-SD

Hello Brad-SD,

We recommend following the guidance listed here: If you can’t send or receive messages on your Mac

"Try these steps first

After trying each step below, try to send a message again. 

We understand that your issue is with message content missing, however, these steps can help isolate the behavior and ensure Messages on your Mac is working as expected.

Best regards.

Jan 2, 2023 1:46 PM in response to Drew_7

Hi Drew_7 - thanks for the response. Upon rebooting I lose attachments that were there prior to the reboot. I am connected to the internet and am on the latest version of Ventura (no available updates). Date and time are correct and messages are coming in and going out just fine. It's just the issue with disappearing attachments over time. They always show up upon receipt...but later disappear. Thank you.

Attachments Disappear from Messages on MacBook but Stay on iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.