You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data Totals

I am using Numbers 6.0 on a MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.4.

I have a column that is using a formula to show numbers to two decimal places. When totalling the column it does not total the numbers shown. How do I obtain the correct total for the numbers shown?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 12:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 11:24 PM

Hi SPLIN99,

you have to separate the number of decimal that are displayed and the number of decimals that Numbers will use for the calculation.

If you set your Data Format for 2 decimals it will only change how the value is shown.

Internally / for the calculation it will use all available decimals.

If you really want the rounded value with 2 decimals you would have to use one of the Round functions.

The result of the calculation 100/3=33.333333 will be rounded to 33.33000

Here a list of different option, in most cases the ROUND function will be used. Others are for special cases.

ROUND - Apple Support

ROUNDDOWN - Apple Support

ROUNDUP - Apple Support

MROUND - Apple Support

CEILING - Apple Support

FLOOR - Apple Support

Based on your region the , or the ; will be used to separate the different sections of a formula. If you write one thousand as 1,000.00 then the , is used as your formula separator. If you write one thousand as 1.000,00 then the ; is used as your formula separator.

Hope this will solve your question, please let me know if this worked for you or if something in unclear.

Regards Ralf

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 3, 2023 11:24 PM in response to SPLIN99

Hi SPLIN99,

you have to separate the number of decimal that are displayed and the number of decimals that Numbers will use for the calculation.

If you set your Data Format for 2 decimals it will only change how the value is shown.

Internally / for the calculation it will use all available decimals.

If you really want the rounded value with 2 decimals you would have to use one of the Round functions.

The result of the calculation 100/3=33.333333 will be rounded to 33.33000

Here a list of different option, in most cases the ROUND function will be used. Others are for special cases.

ROUND - Apple Support

ROUNDDOWN - Apple Support

ROUNDUP - Apple Support

MROUND - Apple Support

CEILING - Apple Support

FLOOR - Apple Support

Based on your region the , or the ; will be used to separate the different sections of a formula. If you write one thousand as 1,000.00 then the , is used as your formula separator. If you write one thousand as 1.000,00 then the ; is used as your formula separator.

Hope this will solve your question, please let me know if this worked for you or if something in unclear.

Regards Ralf

Data Totals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.