You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac iMessage will not send to Non Apple phone users

Hello All, (iMac Late 2014) V11.7.2 -

I am unable to send texts from my iMac, using iMessage to non Apple phones. This was working recently and has been fine for many years. Any ideas on how to get this working again would be appreciated. Thx

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 1:29 PM

1 reply

Jan 18, 2023 4:26 PM in response to RixPix

Your late 2014 iMac is running a version of Mac OS X that is many generations below what it's capable of. OS X 10.11 El Capitan has been unsupported for several years now. Both the OS and that version of iMessage no longer receive security updates from Apple and either may be the cause of your issue.

It would behoove you to upgrade your OS to one that is much more recent and up to date with current protocols and standards.

Your iMac is older, but I believe it can serve you well for quite a few more years if you upgrade it. Your iMac can be upgraded to any of these OS versions: 10.12 Sierra, 10.13 High Sierra, 10.14 Mojave, 10.15 Catalina, or macOS 11 Big Sur.

Should you decide to upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur, be advised that you'll need to also upgrade much of your current application software, including printer and other peripheral device drivers because they are likely 32-bit programs and Mojave is the last version of the macOS that supports them. Catalina and Big Sur require and support only 64-bit software.

For more info, pease see: How to download macOS - Apple Support

Before you upgrade the OS, it is strongly advised that you create a backup of your current software and documents. How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

iMac iMessage will not send to Non Apple phone users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.