You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When trying to boot from usb, usb does not show up?

When I try to boot from a USB key (holding down option key) on my Mac Book Pro 2015, it only shows the harddisk, not the usb key.

I have tried 5 different USB keys, but none of them shows up as an option to boot from, only the harddisk shows up

How can I fix this ?

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 1:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 2:10 PM

I've seen posts on these forums with people using Kali Linux on a Mac, of course there could always be a bug with the most recent version or the current download is corrupt...verify the hash to make sure the .iso is good.

The USB stick is the weakest link.

FYI, I never recommend dual booting using only the internal drive because people almost always find out one or both operating systems doesn't have enough room, or they no longer want the second OS. Fixing this requires modifying partitions again which is always risky and many times will involve needing to start over completely.

If you want to use Linux on bare metal, then install Linux to an external USB3 SSD which should minimize the risk to the main internal boot drive. Otherwise installing Linux into a VM is a good choice depending on how it will be used and the system resources of your Mac and it minimizes the risk to the main OS.

Just make sure to have a good backup in case something goes wrong.

As for Knoppix, you may want to try v8.6.1 to be safe if it is still available. I've only tried using the v9.x series a few times and not sure if the issue is with Knoppix or the hardware I was using at the time. Unfortunately I don't have much free time to experiment these days to confirm.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2023 2:10 PM in response to SpookiePower

I've seen posts on these forums with people using Kali Linux on a Mac, of course there could always be a bug with the most recent version or the current download is corrupt...verify the hash to make sure the .iso is good.

The USB stick is the weakest link.

FYI, I never recommend dual booting using only the internal drive because people almost always find out one or both operating systems doesn't have enough room, or they no longer want the second OS. Fixing this requires modifying partitions again which is always risky and many times will involve needing to start over completely.

If you want to use Linux on bare metal, then install Linux to an external USB3 SSD which should minimize the risk to the main internal boot drive. Otherwise installing Linux into a VM is a good choice depending on how it will be used and the system resources of your Mac and it minimizes the risk to the main OS.

Just make sure to have a good backup in case something goes wrong.

As for Knoppix, you may want to try v8.6.1 to be safe if it is still available. I've only tried using the v9.x series a few times and not sure if the issue is with Knoppix or the hardware I was using at the time. Unfortunately I don't have much free time to experiment these days to confirm.

Jan 26, 2023 7:33 AM in response to SpookiePower

What is supposed to be on the bootable USB stick?

How did you create the bootable USB stick?

Try using the other USB port.

Disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Connect the USB stick directly to the laptop.

Try using another USB stick especially a different brand since the quality of USB sticks is extremely poor, plus Macs can be very picky about the drives used for booting....assuming you created the bootable USB stick correctly.

If you are trying to create a bootable macOS USB installer, then here is an Apple article with the proper instructions:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Jan 26, 2023 5:08 PM in response to SpookiePower

What Linux distribution are you trying to use? Not all of them are compatible with a Mac.

Etcher should make a bootable Linux USB stick without any issues assuming the Linux .iso image is made to boot a UEFI computer since Etcher just transfers the raw contents of the .iso file directly to the USB stick (the same as using the command line utility "dd").

Try a PRAM Reset making sure to hold it for at least three chimes. Sometimes an NVRAM issue can cause weird problems.

I believe Ubuntu (and its various flavors), Linux Mint, and Debian all have USB installers which will boot a Mac (at least with the USB installer....Debian may not boot after installation without a bit of tweaking the bootloader file & folder on the hidden ESP partition). Theoretically all other distributions should also work, but it all depends on how the maintainer of the USB installer image created it.

You are using the entire USB stick when using Etcher (I know this is the default behavior)?

Jan 26, 2023 10:47 AM in response to HWTech

I want to install linux on my Mac Book. I have done this many times before without any problem. I have always done it with creating a bootable USB with linux on, and never had a problem before

I use to create the bootable USB on my windows computer using Banela Etcher. When it did not work, I tried to install Banela Etcher on my Mac Book and create the Linux bootable USB on my Mac Book. That did not work too

I have tried all the USB ports on my computer

Do not use any external devices

I do connect my USB directly into my Mac Book

I have tried 5 different USB keys, but have another one I can try tomorrow

Thanks so far :)

Jan 27, 2023 5:01 AM in response to HWTech

I use Kali Linux (Debian) and it works with my Mac Book. Have had it installed on my Mac Book many times the last few years.

If I can't get it to work, I'll try to run VirtualBox on my Mac Book, and then install Linux into VirtualBox. But not sure how fast it is running and if there will be any lag.

I think I'll try to make a bootable USB with Mac OS, if it is possible? and if it does not work, then I guess it is something with the USB keys I'm using.

Yes, I use the entire USB.

When trying to boot from usb, usb does not show up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.