You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Message app keeps making me open photos app when texted a picture

So, I'm not sure why this started happening but when I'm texted a picture and I double click it (Macbook Pro 2021), instead of it opening big for me to see, it opens a small version of it and makes me open the photos app. This is super annoying and has been happening for a few weeks now, does anyone know how to make it go back to the way it was?

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 4:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 8:04 AM

That's very weird. Just to check, this is what I get when I click on a picture in Messages and hit the space bar:

Mine is set to open pictures in the app GraphicConverter, so that appears at the top right. If I "two-finger-click" (or right-click) I get a list of apps I could use to open this picture (which, surprisingly to me, does not include Photos.)

If I just"two-finger-click" on the picture, I get this menu:

The Space-bar that Yer_Man mentioned gives the Quick Look image like at the top of this post. Here you see a choice to Add to Photos Library.

Is it possible you are right clicking? Or what else is happening?

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2023 8:04 AM in response to NÑ

That's very weird. Just to check, this is what I get when I click on a picture in Messages and hit the space bar:

Mine is set to open pictures in the app GraphicConverter, so that appears at the top right. If I "two-finger-click" (or right-click) I get a list of apps I could use to open this picture (which, surprisingly to me, does not include Photos.)

If I just"two-finger-click" on the picture, I get this menu:

The Space-bar that Yer_Man mentioned gives the Quick Look image like at the top of this post. Here you see a choice to Add to Photos Library.

Is it possible you are right clicking? Or what else is happening?

My Message app keeps making me open photos app when texted a picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.