You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage photos opening in wrong app

When I go to Quick Look a photo in iMessage, it defaults to the incorrect app; in my case, Acorn. I have all Acorn extensions turned off, yet whenever I use Quick Look in iMessage, the "open with" option in the top right of the Quick Look window is always Acorn. It used to default to Preview, which is what I want it to do. I now have to right click to get to Preview. How do I change this back to Preview? Yet more frustrating quirkiness in my new 14" M2 MacBook Pro. I was using an Intel MacBook Pro for the past 14 years, and seeing all this weirdness in this spanking new Mac OS is baffling.

Many thanks,

Michael

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 6:20 PM

6 replies

Sep 10, 2023 8:21 AM in response to sberman

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, this is what I would do if the file I'm attempting to open is in the Finder, but the image is imbedded in an iMessage chat so there is no way to "Get Info". I highlight the image, tap the space bar to invoke Quick Look. In the Quick Look window that opens, the button at the top right says "Open in Acorn". It used to say "Open in Preview". I don't even have a valid version of Acorn on my 14" MacBook Pro running 13.5.2. I then have to right click on this "Open in Acorn" button to select Preview. I want Preview, not Acorn, (or Color Sync Utility, or Skype, the other two options that appear, along with Preview). I've gone in System Settings and have turned off all the Acorn extensions I can find that are scattered across System Settings, yet it persists in the Quick Look window. This is just plain weird. Sometimes I wish I could just return to El Capitan, where everything "just works!".

Thanks

Sep 11, 2023 12:54 AM in response to Old Toad

Hey, Old Toad comes through again with flying colours! Thanks. That did the trick. It was .heic files that were giving me this odd behaviour. The solution seems so simple now in hindsight.

I've been using a 15" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo for the past 14 years, running El Capitan when it was put out to pasture a few months ago (still running perfectly) in favour of this new M2 MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.5.2. Lots of things to learn. Some good. Some bad.

I appreciate the communities feedback with this.

Michael

iMessage photos opening in wrong app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.