You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can human fingernails scratch the screen of an iPhone 14 Pro Max?

I’m aware these latest generations of iPhone including the 14s have ceramic shields but do human fingernails fall under the umbrella of it being invincible to? Do the damage the screen in any way? I would like some clarification on this topic.

Any help is appreciated!

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 12:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 12:26 PM

Unless your fingernails have been reinforced with adamantine or have diamonds on them, no, they won't scratch your iPhone screen.

A fingernail has a hardness of 2.5 (Mohs scale). Glass is 5.5. It's harder.

ETA: lobsterghost1 may be correct. I know that have fingernails long enough to touch the screen on my phone at least some of the time and I've never had a problem with the coating. However, I would agree that if this is something that's going to weigh on your mind, get a screen protector.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 31, 2023 12:26 PM in response to kenzoskow

Unless your fingernails have been reinforced with adamantine or have diamonds on them, no, they won't scratch your iPhone screen.

A fingernail has a hardness of 2.5 (Mohs scale). Glass is 5.5. It's harder.

ETA: lobsterghost1 may be correct. I know that have fingernails long enough to touch the screen on my phone at least some of the time and I've never had a problem with the coating. However, I would agree that if this is something that's going to weigh on your mind, get a screen protector.

Jan 31, 2023 12:22 PM in response to kenzoskow

Nails likely cannot scratch the glass itself, but they could potentially scratch the Oleophobic coating on the display, which would appear as minor scratches. If this is a concern, I wouldn't test it and I would most definitely invest a few dollars in a decent quality screen protector to ensure no hard comes to the screen on the phone directly.

Jan 31, 2023 1:01 PM in response to kenzoskow

As stated, your fingernails ain't strong enough to overcome the screen. BUT, where do you keep your fingernails? If they get contaminated by something hard that gets embedded, that can cause scratches, even if micro-sized. That's how the "diamond" knife sharpeners work: a soft metal backing that readily permits the diamond powder grains to penetrate and embed themselves, and away they go removing metal to do the sharpening. As long as the metal in the knife is harder than the backing of the sharpener, the diamond powder remains put and keeps on sharpening (i.e., scratching away the dull knife metal).

If paranoid, better get the screen protector.

Can human fingernails scratch the screen of an iPhone 14 Pro Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.