You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Rename External Drive Containing Music and Photos

I placed my Music and Photos files on an external drive which I called "Media." The programs work well, but I now know that there are folders and subfolders called "Media" associated with these programs. My OCD could be happier; I would like to rename my External Drive to "Media Drive," but I do not know whether the programs will lose track of their data with that new name. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

BTW, this question is posted in the Photos for Mac forum, as I could not locate a forum which dealt with both Photos and Music. Apologies.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 7:12 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 7, 2023 8:16 AM in response to bafinstead

One problem you may run into is that Photos (as you fear) may lose track of its Library. You can see where Photos expects the library to be in the "Preferences" (or "Settings"-- the name changed recently)

You can see that the Library I'm using is in the "user's" Pictures folder.

If Photos doesn't find the new path, you can close Photos and option-click on the Photos icon to open the "Choose Library" dialog.

You may see a list of libraries, but if you don't see the library in your new drive, you can choose "Other Library" and point Photos to the right drive name.

I've never used an external drive for my music, so I have no idea, there. It may be similar.

Feb 7, 2023 2:57 PM in response to bafinstead

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I bit the bullet and renamed "Drive" to "Media Drive" by right-clicking the drive name in Finder and choosing rename. Photos came up in its accustomed fashion without having to choose a new library location. Music opened in the User Name/Music/Media folder which is Not what I wanted. I tried opening the music library file in Media Drive/Music, but it was grayed out. Ultimately, I held down the option key while opening music, searched for a library and opened the library on Music Drive. It opened correctly.

I hope my experience helps someone else.

Can I Rename External Drive Containing Music and Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.