You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanner compatible with M1 processor

What Scanners are compatible with my iMac 24' with the M1 processor? I am an artist and want to scan my art into my computer and when i look at all the scanners out there none address the issue of drivers that are compatible with the new M1 processor. My Canon MX822 all in on is no longer compatible with the new iMac M1 because the driver for the canon doesn't work with it! Why doesn't Apple just give a list of compatible printers and scanners? Wait because that takes work on their part...right?

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 10:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 11:01 AM

Go to Canon's and Epson's (and another other brand you're interested in) websites and look for photo scanners that are AirPrint compatible and be able to scan the size of your work. They will be compatible with the new Macs.

If you're looking for a multi-function unit, i.e. printer and scanner in one, any unit listed in this Apple document will work: About AirPrint - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2023 11:01 AM in response to dmjgkart

Go to Canon's and Epson's (and another other brand you're interested in) websites and look for photo scanners that are AirPrint compatible and be able to scan the size of your work. They will be compatible with the new Macs.

If you're looking for a multi-function unit, i.e. printer and scanner in one, any unit listed in this Apple document will work: About AirPrint - Apple Support

Feb 7, 2023 10:25 AM in response to dmjgkart

The fact is it's not Apple's responsibility to provide a list of all of the third party devices that are compatible with the macOS. It's up to the developers of those devices to code proper drivers for their own devices or rely on Apple's APIs for compatibility. And if they choose not to provide updated and compatible drivers for their older hardware then it's on them. After all, they want to sell you a new scanner from time to time.

I suggest you take a look at the features of any particular scanner(s) that you are considering and check the mfg websites for compatibility assurances.

Scanner compatible with M1 processor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.