You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(PHPhotosErrorDomain error 4302.)

I have Ventura 13.1 on a MacBook Air M1. I just tried to use Photos for the first time in a long while and it looks like its a new version. It can't read my photos library so I tried to get it to create a new one in my local pictures folder but I got the same error after creating it and try to open it. Disk Utility says the local drive is an APFS Volume (Encrypted).

EDIT: It seems to be able to open the new library now, after I double-clicked on the library file instead of opening Photos first. But I cannot open my original library which is on an external drive - a clue? ;-P

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 6:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 6:17 AM

I rebooted my computer, deleted the new library (that was empty) and started Photos in repair mode (Option-CMD while opening Photos). Then selected my old library on the external drive and it was repaired almost immediately.

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 13, 2023 10:24 AM in response to Greg Beaton

I had similar issue. I have Library on external drive. I apparently made a new library on the internal drive without meaning to. I restarted MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) with M1 Pro, Ventura 13.1. Then deleted library on internal drive. Then opened Photos (not in repair mode). It automatically found my library on external drive and started working as expected.

Thanks for following up on your own question!

(PHPhotosErrorDomain error 4302.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.