You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura 13.1: Where is control for Screen Mirroring located?

And why does it only show up when you -- what?

Same question for screen Arrange, which is related to Mirroring- it seems to show up in the Displays panel when it feels like it.

I did not ask for my second and third monitor to suddenly start Screen Mirroring.

For me it's a largely useless feature; most users I know use additional monitors to EXTEND their Mac worlds. Mirroring is completely annoying, illogical and settings-- wherever Apple is hiding them this year-- should NOT be the default when a new screen is connected.

Until Apple corrects this oversight by adding TURN OFF SCREEN MIRRORING from the Apple menubar item which announces "Screen Mirroring" and does absolutely nothing about it... Does anybody have a secret handshake or recipe describing which feature or setting panel or sequence to bring up. Tried an awful lot of them.

What am I missing?

I swear, Apple, I will sic Bruce Tognazzini on you.

Best as always,

Loren

Mac Studio

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 2:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 11:39 PM

In addition to the solid advice by Yer_Man: the keyboard shortcut Command-F1 is used to toggle between mirroring and extending desktop (*) Very quick and effective, at least when you have two displays. I don’t have more than two so I am not sure how that works in that configuration.

(*) depending on your keyboard or touch bar settings you may need to also hold the fn key

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2023 11:39 PM in response to Loren Miller1

In addition to the solid advice by Yer_Man: the keyboard shortcut Command-F1 is used to toggle between mirroring and extending desktop (*) Very quick and effective, at least when you have two displays. I don’t have more than two so I am not sure how that works in that configuration.

(*) depending on your keyboard or touch bar settings you may need to also hold the fn key

Feb 13, 2023 7:38 PM in response to Yer_Man

Yes, I thank you for the clarification. I have a screen shot just like it. But I had to restart the machine in order to bring the exact same display-- suddenly with an Arrange.. button. Completely disruptive when it boots in the wrong mode. Major BUG.

How do I recover the missing Arrange and where is the TURN OFF MIRRORING command?

I should not have to restart to sort out a BUG in the OS. I will take this directly to Apple, sorry to bother you.

Best as always,

Loren

Feb 14, 2023 8:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Both of you have been patient and helpful. Luis, on my Magic Keyboard, that command works only when I also depress the FUNCTION key-- but your tip led me there.

For me, for now, that IS the TURN OFF MIRRORING command. Quite a lifesaver using my completely up to date Ventura 13.1-- as stated above. Now, when I start up and find my proper screen settings reverting to Mirrored, I know what to do. It's not the Human Interface Guidelines Apple pioneered, but until they renew their interest in thorough testing, it'll do fine.

I'm giving you both Correct Answer. Gratefully.

Best as always,

Loren

Ventura 13.1: Where is control for Screen Mirroring located?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.