You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard text replacement

Can I simply type the text I want replaced and have the text replaced without having to perform any extra step?

When I type text I want expanded, macOS displays a text suggestion pop-up that the user must interact with before the text actually expands (see images below).

I know I don't have to click on the suggestion and I can simply type spacebar to confirm but then it adds a space after the expanded space. I know I can also press the down arrow and then "enter" and no extra space is created however this creates two more keystrokes (down and enter).

See images:

(1) Pressing down arrow then enter (this means two more keystrokes):

(2) Pressing spacebar creates (this is one extra keystroke but adds a space after the text):

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 9:57 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 3, 2023 1:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, yes, that works, but I don’t want to continue typing because that necessarily adds a character after the expanded text.

For example, I often want to type my email address into a field but since I have to add a keystroke it means the field doesn’t recognize it as an email address unless I then type delete. There are many other instances where I don’t wave an extra space, character or punctuation after the expanded text.

Any solution here?

Mar 3, 2023 12:02 PM in response to DerekM87

Uh, yeah, I know.

My question is whether I can avoid any extra keystroke after typing the text to be expanded.

The TextExpander app works this way (ie. I type “brb” and it immediately transforms to “be right back”, whereas Mac’s native text replacement keyboard settings demands I add a keystroke or two (ie space then backspace (if I want to delete the space added by posting space at) or down and enter).

Please confirm whether there is a solution to my problem. Thanks

Mar 3, 2023 6:24 PM in response to emckillen

For example, I often want to type my email address into a field

I wonder why autofill isn’t working.

I don’t know of a way to make text replacement work without adding something. Otherwise, it would have no idea that was supposed to be replaced.

You might be able to create a shortcut that enters the email address with a keyboard shortcut.

Mar 6, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Barney-15E

I wonder why autofill isn’t working.

Autofill doesn't apply itself to various use cases where I must enter an email (i.e. entering email in a field for a password reset, spreadsheet cells, chat and text, etc.).

don’t know of a way to make text replacement work without adding something. Otherwise, it would have no idea that was supposed to be replaced.

TextExpander is a pretty old app and it allows this: e.g. I type " zz" (or whatever) and it automagically converts that to whatever the **** I want, no extra step involved. Bit surprised Apple hasn't implemented this.

You might be able to create a shortcut that enters the email address with a keyboard shortcut.

Yeah, that seems to be the best solution so far. Thank you!

Keyboard text replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.