You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Max battery issue - shutdown at 18%

Hello everyone,

I recently bought M1 Max with 32GB memory, I am using this from past 2 weeks and the battery cycle count is only 13, from last 3 to 4 days I have noticed that my Mac shutdowns when battery goes under 20%, this happens 3 time with me, and I am unable to start this without plugging in the charger, and the battery is at 18-20% at the start.

while I a force it to start showing empty batter error.

when the Mac is shutdown the mousepad is also not clickable - seems kinda stuck.

please guide.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 2:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 6:50 PM

Sounds like you have some sort of hardware issue....most likely a failing battery which will need to be replaced. Check the battery condition by Option-clicking the battery icon on the menu bar. If it says "Service Recommended", then the battery needs to be replaced. If this condition is not shown, then try checking the condition when the battery charge nears 20% or even lower, or immediately after logging back in after the unexpected shutdown. It is also the best time to run the diagnostics as a battery failure is more easily detected at the trouble point.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately not all battery failures are detected by the diagnostics.

Have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 2, 2023 6:50 PM in response to pervaiz289

Sounds like you have some sort of hardware issue....most likely a failing battery which will need to be replaced. Check the battery condition by Option-clicking the battery icon on the menu bar. If it says "Service Recommended", then the battery needs to be replaced. If this condition is not shown, then try checking the condition when the battery charge nears 20% or even lower, or immediately after logging back in after the unexpected shutdown. It is also the best time to run the diagnostics as a battery failure is more easily detected at the trouble point.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately not all battery failures are detected by the diagnostics.

Have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Mar 2, 2023 11:26 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you for the helpful reply.

I ran the apple diagnostic last night, and the mac battery was around 99% charged, so everything went well, and no issue was found.

for now, the battery stats are good; from 100 to 20% it takes around 13 hours. it seems battery health is good.

I'll follow your suggestion by checking battery health etc around 20% or after a new start.

in addition only once or twice my battery went under 20% before and I think it was fine then, I remember one time it goes to 10%.

else every time I charged the batter when this reaches 20%. maximum 15-time mac is charged.

Is this the reason for behaving like this?

M1 Max battery issue - shutdown at 18%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.