You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it true that "Shortcuts" cannot Paste anything?

The "Shortcuts" App. I have used it successfully to have F1 "Copy" by using the Action "Copy to keyboard" and it works.

However when searching for a "Paste" Action, there does not appear to be one. I found "Get Clipboard" but that does not paste the text to the screen. Is that other people's experience?

I'm getting tired of command (control / whatever) and C or V to paste. It's given me severe carpal tunnel in my left hand only over the years. The "Claw" shaped hand doctors inform me cause/assist/aggravate peripheral neuropathy and carpal tunnel.

Is there a way to have Shortcuts "Paste"? (Please do not discuss any 3rd party "free" or paid keyboard re-mapers as too many spying keyboard loggers appear bundled with these "free" software applications.

It would be nice if the shortcuts "Help" menu option would show "we deliberately prevent a pasting shortcut" - when you search for "paste" under help, if that is the case.

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 12:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 6:38 AM

Thanks Barney!

After creating a "Run AppleScript with" (instead of a 'Run Shell Script') I was able to achieve this with the following script

on run {input, parameters}
	tell application "System Events" to keystroke "v" using {command down}
	return input
end run

This then resulted in the error "system events got an error: shortcuts is not allowed to send keystrokes."

Which was solved by: under security preferences, I needed to give access to BOTH Shortcuts and siriactionsd as also shown here:

Keystroke command not working in s… | Apple Developer Forums

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 16, 2023 6:38 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney!

After creating a "Run AppleScript with" (instead of a 'Run Shell Script') I was able to achieve this with the following script

on run {input, parameters}
	tell application "System Events" to keystroke "v" using {command down}
	return input
end run

This then resulted in the error "system events got an error: shortcuts is not allowed to send keystrokes."

Which was solved by: under security preferences, I needed to give access to BOTH Shortcuts and siriactionsd as also shown here:

Keystroke command not working in s… | Apple Developer Forums

Is it true that "Shortcuts" cannot Paste anything?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.