You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac experiencing slow startup, multiple software issues after Ventura 13.3.1

Since updating my iMac (Retina 5k, 27", 2017) to Ventura 13.3.1, it takes a long time to boot up. The progress bar seems to hang at around 40% before finally moving on to the login screen.

Second issue - related or not - is that apps forget their settings or refuse to work for different users with individual logins on this machine. This happens in OneDrive, Google Drive, and LastPass, to name a few. The only fix is to log out all users and restart. This did not happen before the Ventura update, so wondering if it may be related to new security measures or Settings that may be required.

Etrecheck report is attached.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 12:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 1:52 PM

I experienced the same issue immediately after 13.3.1 update, but with more adverse problems. Frequently, the iMac (Retina 5k, 27", 2017) will startup and hang on an all black screen, all yellow screen with a cursor, or checkered magenta/white display. Also, experienced the Apple logo and progress bar show enlarged and skewed on the right edge of the display. Enough combinations of NVRAM resets and booting into Safe Mode eventually lead to successful normal albeit slow login. Unrelated or not, Excel started to crash on launch and needed to be removed and reinstalled. The iMac has been hanging since first upgrading to Ventura last fall, especially with Adobe CS apps. An issue that was not present before. May downgrade to Monterey. For now, I will avoid any restarts until the next update.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 17, 2023 1:52 PM in response to rivercitytunester

I experienced the same issue immediately after 13.3.1 update, but with more adverse problems. Frequently, the iMac (Retina 5k, 27", 2017) will startup and hang on an all black screen, all yellow screen with a cursor, or checkered magenta/white display. Also, experienced the Apple logo and progress bar show enlarged and skewed on the right edge of the display. Enough combinations of NVRAM resets and booting into Safe Mode eventually lead to successful normal albeit slow login. Unrelated or not, Excel started to crash on launch and needed to be removed and reinstalled. The iMac has been hanging since first upgrading to Ventura last fall, especially with Adobe CS apps. An issue that was not present before. May downgrade to Monterey. For now, I will avoid any restarts until the next update.

iMac experiencing slow startup, multiple software issues after Ventura 13.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.