You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Won't Let Me Search the Store--only My Library

I'm using Music 1.2.5.7 on Monterey. It doesn't allow me to search Apple Music (I'm not a subscriber) or the iTunes Store. I have only the old search function in the left-hand sidebar, but as soon as I enter anything in Search it goes only to my library. There is no button on the left or right that would allow me to choose the store. I've just gone through several answers to this question, and they all reference a Music>Preferences screen that I do not get. In my window there is no bar with Apple Music/iTunes Store/My Library. I want to buy music but it won't let me.

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 12:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 1:06 PM

In the Music app menu bar, choose Music > Settings or Preferences > General and insure Show iTunes Store is selected. Note that this is in the menu bar at the top of your screen.

Then click in the search box at the top of the left sidebar and then click the iTunes Store option at the top right of the main window as shown in the example in Buy music from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

If the 3 options don't appear at the top right of the main window after doing the above, 2 things to try:

1) If the View menu in the menu bar contains "Hide Playing Next" or "Hide Lyrics" then click that item so that it changes to "Show Playing Next" or "Show Lyrics."

2) If there is a very small < at the top left of the main window (to the right of the sidebar search box), click it one or more times until there is no < there.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2023 1:06 PM in response to giles176

In the Music app menu bar, choose Music > Settings or Preferences > General and insure Show iTunes Store is selected. Note that this is in the menu bar at the top of your screen.

Then click in the search box at the top of the left sidebar and then click the iTunes Store option at the top right of the main window as shown in the example in Buy music from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

If the 3 options don't appear at the top right of the main window after doing the above, 2 things to try:

1) If the View menu in the menu bar contains "Hide Playing Next" or "Hide Lyrics" then click that item so that it changes to "Show Playing Next" or "Show Lyrics."

2) If there is a very small < at the top left of the main window (to the right of the sidebar search box), click it one or more times until there is no < there.

Apr 23, 2023 1:22 PM in response to FoxFifth

Yes, I have Show iTunes Store selected in Preferences.

When I click in the Search Box on top of the left sidebar, I get a blank screen except that it says "Searching Your Library."

When I then click on iTunes Store under "Store" in the same lefthand sidebar, the screen switches to the store, but there is no box or button anywhere that I can see that allows me to search it. There's nowhere to enter anything. And if I click into the Search Box again, I get "Searching your library."

Yes, the View menu shows Show Playing Next and Show Lyrics.

I don't see any < at the location you mention.

Music Won't Let Me Search the Store--only My Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.