You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie reducing video quality

Can anyone help...

Using an DJI camera at 4K 60fps. Project exported using "Facebook & Youtube" option, resolution 1920 x 1080.

Why does YouTube stop at HD version? and not 4K? YouTube seem to think 4K doesn't exist when video was captured in 4K.

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 6:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 1:16 PM

Thanks for your input Rich839. I've actually managed to resolved the issue.

There's a we trick to it, because the 1st file on the timeline was not in 4K 60fps, iMovie automatically takes the resolution size from the first file i.e 1080p.

In order to obtain 4k project...

• Copy everything thats in the timeline.
  • Create a new project.
  • Insert a 4k video clip with the desired frame rate into the timeline as the first clip. That will set the project 4k resolution and frame rate.
  • Paste the media into the new timeline.
  • Remove the 1st file.
  • At this point user should be able to get original resolution size regardless of the first file input.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2023 1:16 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks for your input Rich839. I've actually managed to resolved the issue.

There's a we trick to it, because the 1st file on the timeline was not in 4K 60fps, iMovie automatically takes the resolution size from the first file i.e 1080p.

In order to obtain 4k project...

• Copy everything thats in the timeline.
  • Create a new project.
  • Insert a 4k video clip with the desired frame rate into the timeline as the first clip. That will set the project 4k resolution and frame rate.
  • Paste the media into the new timeline.
  • Remove the 1st file.
  • At this point user should be able to get original resolution size regardless of the first file input.

Apr 28, 2023 8:24 AM in response to AppleMaxi

Hi, AppleMaxi,

You probably should ask You Tube what is causing the problem.

iMovie does not support project export at 4k 60ps. iMovie does support project export at 4k 30fps and 1080p at 60fps. iMovie will reduce clips that are 4k 60 fps to 4k30 fps in the timeline.

I'm not sure, but I believe that You Tube does support 4k. Check the You Tube website for the supported video specs. I am guessing that iMovie reduced the movie to 1080 60 fps on export since it does not support 4k 60fps.

Instead of using iMovie's direct upload to You Tube feature, try exporting your project to your desktop at 4K (it will be 4k 30 fps), or export at 1080p 60 fps if the frame rate is your priority. You will have those resolution options in the iMovie export box. Then drag the movie into You Tube's upload window. See if that works.

-- Rich

iMovie reducing video quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.