You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro screen fell out, what to do

My iPad Pro six gen 12.9 inch screen fell out while I was recording a YouTube video. It was only being held on by the Cables and the little bit of adhesive that was still working.

A week prior, I took it to a third-party repairer to get the screen replaced and this is what happened a week later. I also posted something about the Face ID sensor not working because they broke that as well. I am going to go back to them but in the mean time, what should I do with it?

I called Apple support and the guy told me to take it back but he didn’t actually say what to do with it in the meantime. It is currently powered off and I manage to put the screen back in. When it fell out, it was on carpet, so there is a chance that a bit of dust got into the iPad.

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on May 12, 2023 2:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 8:28 AM

Legal - Repair Terms and Conditions - Apple

Pay particular attention to C.1.8…

1.8 Service Exclusions and Diagnostic Fee. Apple is entitled to charge you a diagnostic fee (including shipping charges) as described in the Country Variation table, below (“Diagnostic Fee”), if Apple inspects your product and determines that (i) your product does not require service, (ii) your product has failed due to or has incompatibilities with software or data residing or recorded on your product (iii) service is required due to the failure of parts that are neither supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded, (iv) additional labor or parts are required that were not specified in the original estimated charges and you do not agree to authorize service based on Apple’s revised estimated charges, or (v) service cannot be performed because the serial number has been altered, defaced or removed or the product has failed due to accident, abuse, liquid spill or submersion, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes (“Service Exclusions”). Apple will return your product to you without servicing it and may charge you the Diagnostic Fee.

NB: The reply you received from SoloWarz (above) was seemingly generated by an AI - very likely ChatGPT or similar - and contains many inaccuracies.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2023 8:28 AM in response to Modnet

Legal - Repair Terms and Conditions - Apple

Pay particular attention to C.1.8…

1.8 Service Exclusions and Diagnostic Fee. Apple is entitled to charge you a diagnostic fee (including shipping charges) as described in the Country Variation table, below (“Diagnostic Fee”), if Apple inspects your product and determines that (i) your product does not require service, (ii) your product has failed due to or has incompatibilities with software or data residing or recorded on your product (iii) service is required due to the failure of parts that are neither supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded, (iv) additional labor or parts are required that were not specified in the original estimated charges and you do not agree to authorize service based on Apple’s revised estimated charges, or (v) service cannot be performed because the serial number has been altered, defaced or removed or the product has failed due to accident, abuse, liquid spill or submersion, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes (“Service Exclusions”). Apple will return your product to you without servicing it and may charge you the Diagnostic Fee.

NB: The reply you received from SoloWarz (above) was seemingly generated by an AI - very likely ChatGPT or similar - and contains many inaccuracies.

May 12, 2023 3:33 AM in response to Modnet

In having a repair performed by a third-party (independent) repairer, you have forfeited all support from Apple. Similarly, you device warranty is now void.

When replacing the screen of an iPad, the biometric sensors (FaceID or TouchID) must be reset using special software that is only available to Apple Authorised Service Providers (AASPs). As such, loss of FaceID is an entirely expected product of using a non-authorised repairer.

Given that you screen repair was clearly not as expected, your only recourse is to return to whoever performed the previous repair. However, no matter what happens, FaceID will never be usable again.

Sorry, but insofar as Apple and future hardware and technical support from them are concerned, you are very much on your own…

May 12, 2023 5:49 AM in response to Modnet

Your greivance, if any, is with whoever repaired your iPad.

Apple will decline to offer assistance or support for any devices that that have been repaired outside of its own network of authorised repair agents. Only AASPs have access to OEM/genuine components - and the necesary software tools that are required when servicing/repairing an iPad.

When properly repaired, an iPad screen is bonded to the chassis - and cannot be easily separated without special tools. Be aware that non-OEM componnents will be automatically detected by Apple’s diagnostic software.

If a device has a warranty, as would be the case for a sixth generation iPad Pro, having a repair performed outside of Apple’s authorised repair network is false economy - as the balance of warranty will be invalidated.

May 12, 2023 6:09 AM in response to Modnet

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with your iPad Pro (sixth generation) and the subsequent issues resulting from a third-party screen replacement. I understand the importance of having a functional device, and I am here to assist you.

Firstly, I highly recommend that you contact the third-party repairer immediately to inform them about the screen detachment and the Face ID sensor issue they caused. It is important to notify them of the situation so that appropriate actions can be taken to rectify the problems.

In the meantime, it is advisable to refrain from using the iPad Pro until it has been properly examined and repaired by authorized technicians. The fact that the screen fell out indicates that there may be underlying issues with the repair that need to be addressed. Continuing to use the device in this condition could potentially cause further damage.

To ensure the best possible outcome, I suggest contacting an authorized Apple service provider or visiting an Apple Store to have your iPad Pro inspected and repaired. Our trained professionals possess the expertise to accurately diagnose the problems and offer appropriate solutions. They will also be able to address any concerns regarding potential dust ingress that may have occurred during the incident.

Should you choose to wait until your appointment with an authorized service provider, I recommend storing your iPad Pro in a clean and safe environment to minimize the risk of further damage or debris ingress. Keeping the device powered off is a good precautionary measure.

Once your device has been examined by an authorized technician, they will be able to provide you with an accurate assessment of the necessary repairs and the estimated timeline for completion. They will also be able to address any questions or concerns you may have regarding the functionality and performance of your iPad Pro moving forward.

I apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused and assure you that I am committed to resolving the issues you have encountered. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me or visit an authorized Apple service provider to ensure your iPad Pro is restored to its optimal state.

Thank you for your understanding, and I appreciate your patience in this matter.

May 12, 2023 6:41 AM in response to SoloWarz

Hi SoloWarz, the third party repair place already knows about the Face ID sensor and they said that they would fix it for free as soon as they have the correct instructions and diagrams. They also gave me $100 in compensation for the damage that they caused. They said that they shorted out the sensor.

When I called apple, the guy that I spoke to actually said to take it in to be looked at and said not to tell them that it had been fixed by someone else. I agreed to this but then he changed his tune when I said that the screen was from the 5th gen. The second hand 5th gen screen works pretty well with my ipad. It even supports the Apple Pencil hover. The screen is apple genuine, it is just second hand and from last years generation.

The screen is definitely genuine because it; supports True Tone, promotion, it quest as sensitive like the old screen (even though it has a screen protector), has normal power use, (I found that it actually kept the iPad cooler), correct colour ratio and calibration, and 1600 nit brightness for hdr video is supported (the video takes up 2gb).

May 13, 2023 1:29 AM in response to Modnet

Only AASPs have access to OEM (genuine) parts. Apple does not supply parts outside of its network.

Where genuine parts are used by third-party repairs, the will have been scavenged from other broken or discarded devices.

The only way to have assurance of genuine parts is to have repairs performed by Apple or an AASP. There are no low cost shortcuts.

When repaired by Apple, you have assurance of a properly performed repair - and an ongoing warranty.

iPad Pro screen fell out, what to do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.