You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export PDF in pages

Hi, having a problem with export to PDF

I've been using Pages 8.1 for for many years producing news letter for Brighton Art Society export in PDF usually 8-15 mb file for emailing and printing 50 copies in local shop.

Sins upgrading to new Mac mini M2 having big problem:

1) With the same export setting file is twice as big

2) In printing shop they can't safe and print this PDF file on widows computer

The same Pages File exported on my old Mac I have no problem

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 10:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 1:14 PM

vovkaatmac wrote:

I've been using Pages 8.1 for for many years producing news letter for Brighton Art Society export in PDF usually 8-15 mb file for emailing and printing 50 copies in local shop.

The current Pages.app is ver 13.0

it does not surprise me it does not work the same as your old ver 8.1...

you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Try something different instead of export(?)

ex. Use the Command P to open the print dialog> Save as PDF and compare your results

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2023 1:14 PM in response to vovkaatmac

vovkaatmac wrote:

The current Pages.app is ver 13.0

it does not surprise me it does not work the same as your old ver 8.1...

you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Try something different instead of export(?)

ex. Use the Command P to open the print dialog> Save as PDF and compare your results

Feb 1, 2024 2:16 PM in response to vovkaatmac

A lot has changed with Pages since v8.1 and currently it is Pages v13.2 for macOS Ventura and Sonoma. There have also been changes to the Apple PDF Framework that Pages uses to export to PDF, so again, change is inevitable.

A suggestion has been made about printing to PDF, though I question whether there is any compatibility issue between best or better quality when opening the resulting PDF on Windows.

If you are emailing the exported PDF, I suggest that you visit Apple's Mail application's attachment tool in the Mail compose window and select the following:

With that set, and if the printer still cannot open the PDF attachment, then I suggest you right-click on that PDF in the Finder and choose Compress to put the PDF in a .zip container before attaching it to the outgoing email. Tell the printer that it is now a zip compressed PDF, and they should be able to just unzip it on Windows. I recommend this approach in case something during the mail transmission process is damaging the PDF.

Feb 1, 2024 1:28 PM in response to vovkaatmac

I had that issue for sometime and could not find any resolution online or in the community. My OS is updated and never had this problem before. Here's my workaround: While the document is open on Pages, try going to File > Export to PDF and select image quality (tick box) as "Good" instead of selecting "Best" which is supposedly ideal. It's saved as PDF while maintaining the original doc in Pages.

Export PDF in pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.