You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 4th & 2nd gen pencil

My IPad Air 4th Gen keeps disconnecting from my 2nd gen Apple Pencil. Both are about 1.5-2 years old and this problem just started. It has happened on 3 different occasions and will eventually reconnect (reconnection times have not been the same). I keep the pencil docked while not in use, the nib is brand new (not an off brand).

I was on the phone with apple support and they were not able to help me. Is this something that will require a whole new pencil?

Pencil will show in my Bluetooth devices but wont reconnect. It says I need to dock the pencil to connect-yet the pencil is docked. It also shows at the top when I connect the pencil to the side, but it still doesn’t connect.

I hit “forget this device” and now it is not showing up at all under Bluetooth.

I need help.

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 6:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 4:46 AM

As described, you’ll need to try substitution testing. If you have access to (or can borrow) another second generation Pencil, you will be able to verify that your iPad is working as expected. If the problem persists when using a different (known good) Pencil, the issue lies with the iPad.

Next, try using your own Apple Pencil with another iPad. If the problem is repeatable with another iPad, the Pencil likely has a fault - and will require replacement.

A visit to an Apple retailer that has accessible display/demonstration iPad’s is a potential method of being able to test your Pencil.

You might alternatively visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2023 4:46 AM in response to Kylie1396

As described, you’ll need to try substitution testing. If you have access to (or can borrow) another second generation Pencil, you will be able to verify that your iPad is working as expected. If the problem persists when using a different (known good) Pencil, the issue lies with the iPad.

Next, try using your own Apple Pencil with another iPad. If the problem is repeatable with another iPad, the Pencil likely has a fault - and will require replacement.

A visit to an Apple retailer that has accessible display/demonstration iPad’s is a potential method of being able to test your Pencil.

You might alternatively visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Air 4th & 2nd gen pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.