You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set spoken text in Spanish on a MacBook Air (OS Monterey)

My Mac's main language is English, but I have Spanish listed as a preferred language in settings. I can use Spoken Text from Accessibility to read out written English, but I want to hear material in Spanish with a Spanish voice. (I have created some short TextEdit files of Spanish using GPT Chat.) Google Translate can read aloud anything I paste in, but I have no controls.

Ideally, I want to be able to create sound files that I can send to my iPhone to listen to on the move.

If Mac can't do it, can anyone recommend a safe app, maybe? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 4:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 5:47 AM

Have you tried adding a spanish voice?

Change the voice your Mac uses to speak text - Apple Support (IN)

2 replies

Jun 11, 2023 11:32 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom, Thanks!

I am downloading couple of voices now, so that should fix that issue very nicely. (I failed to notice that 'customize" option in Spoken Content until I saw the explanation you pointed me to.)

I will now have controls that I don't have with Google Translate.

And I now see that I can create a tolerable recording using QuickTime Player - enough for language study, so I should be able to work the rest out.

Thanks again,

Nic F

How to set spoken text in Spanish on a MacBook Air (OS Monterey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.