You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CANNOT SHARE ANYTHING - DOCUMENTS AFTER UPDATE TO IOS 16.5

Hello,

on my iPhone 14 Pro I cannot share PDF docs or voice recordings. Any app within which I try to share anything else than a photo just freezes and after a couple of seconds crashes (closes). this issue began after updating to ios 16.5. anyone else having the same issue? I of course tried steps as turning the device off / on , backing up and restoring etc. This problem is rather small but it happens in literally any app - from notes to safari, voice recordings, facebook, whatsapp, adobe pdf viewer, well…anywhere…and yes it happens with any document - not only pdf.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 1:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 5:38 PM

Good afternoon matej100,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are having an issue sharing documents and voice recordings, and we'd like to help.

Can you provide a little more information about what you are experiencing?

You've done some great troubleshooting so far!

We have a few questions to ask to gain a little more clarity regarding what might be happening here.

Are the PDFs, voice recordings and other documents stored on your iPhone, or are they stored in iCloud?

Do you use the Files app to access them?

Are you able to open a file, and then tap the Share button and choose Messages or Email?

Please let us know of any error messages you may encounter.

How much storage is used and available on your device and in iCloud?

Do you have iCloud Drive enabled on this iPhone?

The resources below may help address this issue:

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage?

Find files on your iPhone or iPad in the Files app

If the issue persists, please reply to this thread and we'll do our best to help you!

Take care.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 13, 2023 5:38 PM in response to matej100

Good afternoon matej100,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are having an issue sharing documents and voice recordings, and we'd like to help.

Can you provide a little more information about what you are experiencing?

You've done some great troubleshooting so far!

We have a few questions to ask to gain a little more clarity regarding what might be happening here.

Are the PDFs, voice recordings and other documents stored on your iPhone, or are they stored in iCloud?

Do you use the Files app to access them?

Are you able to open a file, and then tap the Share button and choose Messages or Email?

Please let us know of any error messages you may encounter.

How much storage is used and available on your device and in iCloud?

Do you have iCloud Drive enabled on this iPhone?

The resources below may help address this issue:

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage?

Find files on your iPhone or iPad in the Files app

If the issue persists, please reply to this thread and we'll do our best to help you!

Take care.

Jul 10, 2023 9:06 AM in response to matej100

matej100,

Changes to the network might affect and show these kinds of issues. Are you on a specific type of network (Wi-Fi or cellular/mobile) or changing between those networks when it happens?

If on Wi-Fi, try troubleshooting the Wi-Fi network even if it's only with sharing as the same steps target sharing: If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Specifically step 7 since you've already completed step 6:

Reset your network settings
If you're using iOS or iPadOS 15 or later, tap Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14 or earlier, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

You also mentioned backing up and restoring, did you mean to factory settings on the iPhone? We'd want to be sure we don't look into the same steps.

Enjoy your day.

Jul 10, 2023 5:24 AM in response to judysings

Hey! Thanks for your reply! I hoped the problem / bug would get resolved by waiting for new iOS update (16.5.1) - but nothing changed. The issue is affecting my daily iPhone usage more and more. So regarding your questions:

1. Yes, all of the documents I tried to share are stored on my iPhone but I only recently found out the issue also happens when I load ANY document in Safari - if it’s a PDF - the doc loads and shows but when I click the “share button” the app just freezes and after about 5 seconds it crashes and gets me to my home screen - when I then open Safari again - it loads the pdf again but still cannot share. New bug (probably - I guess - may be connected to this bug is that when I try to download ANY document in Safari - it just does not - it stucks at downloading 0kb / ANY NUMBER - tried this with 9 random docs on Google and other websites - the same issue every time.

2.Yes and No. - No, this surprised me, I cannot open iCloud Drive folder files in my Apple Files app. There is a (!) in a SYNC SYMBOL CIRCLE sign next to iCloud Drive - this makes sense - I am over the 2.2TB storage - though I should still be able to open the folder same way as I am able to open any iCloud Drive files when visiting through iCloud.com - will get to this later in my answer. Yes, I am able to OPEN any file other than the ones in folder iCloud Drive in Apple Files app on iPhone BUT when I open it - it openes - cannot share - even JPEG and other image formats - nothing - the click on the share button crashes the app the same way as it does in Safari and other apps.

3.Yes, I am able to click on the Share button BUT I do not get the pop up with the possibilities of sharing - such as mail, messages and other apps. What is wierd is that in the Files app I cannot share images the same way as I cannot share other files but in the Photos app - I can share them - the pop up with sharing shows up and even works normally - I can only guess this might be because the format of photos is HEIC and I only got JPEG files in the Apple Files app.

4.There are NO ERROR MESSAGES - any app just crashes after clicking the share button.

5.Yes, iCloud Drive is turned on but is stuck - understand this - will explain later in this answer. On my iPhone I have 120GB / 256GB used - so plenty of free storage. BUT on iCloud - 2.248TB / 2.2TB used - YES, OVER THE LIMIT - cannot buy more - Apple One Premier is still not available in my region. - I know the issue might be caused by having iCloud storage used over the limit - BUT - the issue does not happen only when interacting with iCloud files - but ANY FILE - the ones not backed up to iCloud - the ones being viewed in Safari - the ones just shared in any app - even ones that are not synced to iCloud backup. It is definitely not supposed to work this way.

Jul 12, 2023 10:19 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Good evening!

Thanks for your reply! The steps provided in your reply changed nothing BUT I have succesfully managed to FIND THE BUG REPORT (YES, I AM SURE IT IS THE CRASH REPORT CAUSING THESE PROBLEMS BECAUSE OF THE TIME STAMPE MULTIPLY TRIED TO REPEAT THE BUG AND ONLY WITH THE APPS I TRIED TO DO THE SHARE ACTION WITH - SO YES, I AM SURE THOSE ARE THE RIGHT REPORTS) in the settings:

"share_with_app_devs":0,"bug_type":"509","app_name":"VoiceMemos","name":"VoiceMemos"}

I CANNOT FIND ANYWHERE ON THE WEB WHAT THE BUG TYPE 509 MEANS. BUT IT IS THE ONE CAUSING ALL OF MY “SHARE ISSUES”.

CANNOT SHARE ANYTHING - DOCUMENTS AFTER UPDATE TO IOS 16.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.