You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS updating on mac mini (late 2014) el Capitan and iphone 11

Hello, I have a mac mini late 2014 model on os x el capitan 10.11.6 and an iphone 11. I also keep a backup hard drive. I recently checked software update and nothing comes up at all. Is there a way to update my computer and my phone? Thank you.

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 8:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 8:17 AM

The 2014 Mac Mini can run up to macOS 12 Monterey.

see > How to download macOS - Apple Support

If you have installed any third party AV-ware, Cleaning-ware, Optimizing-ware or use a VPN, then those can block your Mac from updating normally.

If that is the case, then try updating in Safe Mode.

see > If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2023 8:17 AM in response to I_dont_want_to_be_here

The 2014 Mac Mini can run up to macOS 12 Monterey.

see > How to download macOS - Apple Support

If you have installed any third party AV-ware, Cleaning-ware, Optimizing-ware or use a VPN, then those can block your Mac from updating normally.

If that is the case, then try updating in Safe Mode.

see > If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

Jun 17, 2023 8:18 AM in response to I_dont_want_to_be_here

A late 2014 Mac mini can be upgraded to Monterey. See the following from Identify your Mac mini model - Apple Support

Mac mini (Late 2014)

Model Identifier: Macmini7,1

Part Numbers: MGEM2xx/A, MGEN2xx/A, MGEQ2xx/A

Newest compatible operating system: macOS Monterey 

To upgrade to Monterey (or earlier), see instructions in How to download macOS - Apple Support

Be aware that if you upgrade to Catalina 10.15 or later you will also need to update any non-Apple 32-bit apps. See: https://www.macworld.com/article/232735/how-to-check-if-mac-software-is-32-or-64-bit.html

An iPhone 11 can be updated to the current iOS 13.5. To update, see: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

OS updating on mac mini (late 2014) el Capitan and iphone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.