You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just had email from find My saying device can no longer be located

Just had email from find My saying device can no longer be located, plus my Apple ID and password will no longer be required for someone to erase, reactivate and use my phone…. Please help this is scaring me…

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 11:24 AM

8 replies

Jun 19, 2023 2:46 AM in response to Ukperson287

The scams are becoming quite sophisticated and VERY convincing.

They do it not only to gain YOUR personal info, but also so that that have control of YOUR account from which they can then launch additional criminal activity.

One must always be wary, AND critically keep their devices “current” OS-wise.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Jun 18, 2023 11:45 AM in response to Ukperson287

Typical scam, that is trying to trick you into revealing your personal information, so the bad buys can get into your phone and take control.

Hopefully, you did not click on any links in the message and provide more info.

Delete the email / message and any others like it that you might see.

Another favorite scam is a message from "Apple" or "Apple Support" claiming that your phone has been found....and you just need to provide a few more "details".......like your Apple ID and Password...... so the phone can be returned to you.

Jun 18, 2023 11:45 AM in response to Ukperson287

The only thing that would be troublesome is if you tapped a link in the email and entered personal credentials. You can easily check the Find My app to see if you device is able to be located. If you have not entered ID and Password from the email link and Find My is working than it is one of the many email scams trying to get your info and you should just delete and move on.

If you did enter info from the email link, then please respond for additional procedures to protect your data.

Jun 19, 2023 2:31 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Find My had iCloud.con/find link in email, did not click on.

2 days ago I received message on my business Facebook notification saying someone disagreed, if I think they got it wrong click on link to let FB know otherwise my page would be taken down..... I stupidly clicked on for literally 2 seconds saw that bar come up and switched off immediately.

Changed ApplelD and password

Is this enough to hack me?

Saw in my personal details my birth date different by 2 days, know starting to doubt whether I put In wrong,.

Why would they do that?

Jun 19, 2023 7:54 AM in response to Ukperson287

Ukperson287 wrote:

Find My had iCloud.con/find link in email, did not click on.

2 days ago I received message on my business Facebook notification saying someone disagreed, if I think they got it wrong click on link to let FB know otherwise my page would be taken down..... I stupidly clicked on for literally 2 seconds saw that bar come up and switched off immediately.

Changed ApplelD and password

Is this enough to hack me?

Clicking the link is not enough to give away your personal details. It does let the sender know that you clicked it, which tells them that the email was received and you are likely to click the links for future spam emails. Just avoid doing it in the future.

Changing your password is always a good idea. The fact that they had your approximate birth date is not caused by the action in this email. Unfortunately that information is widely available due to the fact that many legitimate companies like Facebook, Google, Twitter, and many more, sell that information to Ad companies that are linked to your email address when you sign up for their service.

As always, just stay vigilante, the Apple ID and Password is what they really want you to provide them, along with fake banking emails looking for you to enter your bank account information.

Just had email from find My saying device can no longer be located

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.