You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If my photos backed up to iCloud do I still need to sync my photos to iCloud in the photo app?

If my photos backed up to iCloud do I still need to sync my photos to iCloud in the photo app?

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 3:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 4:35 PM

You can either sync photos via iCloud Photos or include photos in iCloud Backup but you cannot do both from the same device (i.e., if you turn on iCloud Photos, then photos will not be included in iCloud Backup).

One advantage of iCloud Photos is that you can view the photos in an internet browser from any device at www.icloud.com -- you cannot view the contents of an iCloud Backup.

Another difference is that with iCloud Photos, the photos are automatically synced with any other devices where you have iCloud Photos turned on.

The syncing option, if you have multiple devices with iCloud Photos turned on can increase the use of the storage on your devices as all of the photos are on all of the device. There is an Optimize Storage option that you can turn on in any device that can reduce the storage needed (even if you only have one device with iCloud Photos). See more information about Optimize Storage in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2023 4:35 PM in response to Charleemarbeauty

You can either sync photos via iCloud Photos or include photos in iCloud Backup but you cannot do both from the same device (i.e., if you turn on iCloud Photos, then photos will not be included in iCloud Backup).

One advantage of iCloud Photos is that you can view the photos in an internet browser from any device at www.icloud.com -- you cannot view the contents of an iCloud Backup.

Another difference is that with iCloud Photos, the photos are automatically synced with any other devices where you have iCloud Photos turned on.

The syncing option, if you have multiple devices with iCloud Photos turned on can increase the use of the storage on your devices as all of the photos are on all of the device. There is an Optimize Storage option that you can turn on in any device that can reduce the storage needed (even if you only have one device with iCloud Photos). See more information about Optimize Storage in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.