You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where to find MacBook Air mdm key

My 2018 MacBook Air was passed to me in an erased mode. I now can’t get it to activate despite Apple in the States removing the bar. I understood if it was erased it’s like a new machine but the d—n thing keeps wanting my previous Apple ID and passcode? Anyone had similar problems?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 8:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 8:31 AM

karl128 wrote:

My 2018 MacBook Air was passed to me in an erased mode. I now can’t get it to activate despite Apple in the States removing the bar. I understood if it was erased it’s like a new machine but the d—n thing keeps wanting my previous Apple ID and passcode? Anyone had similar problems?

If the computer was previously configured with MDM there is no way to remove the MDM configuration. If there was a way, then theives would have an easy path to selling stolen devices. Erasing a computer does not make it "like a new machine". The previous owner has to remove the MDM configuration and they must properly configure the computer for sale.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2023 8:31 AM in response to karl128

karl128 wrote:

If the computer was previously configured with MDM there is no way to remove the MDM configuration. If there was a way, then theives would have an easy path to selling stolen devices. Erasing a computer does not make it "like a new machine". The previous owner has to remove the MDM configuration and they must properly configure the computer for sale.

Where to find MacBook Air mdm key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.