You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning Music off so it stops draining the battery

I don't want Music on pause.

I don't want it to auto start up when I put in earphones.

I don't want it sitting waiting for me and sucking the battery.

I don't want to have a song sitting there at all.

How do I "just simply" turn it off and then turn it on WHEN I WANT IT ON. Man, this is annoying.

I click on the paused song, hit the 3dots and get add to library, playing, share, share, show, love, ..., NO... I want to close the song.

I click airplay and see the phone and all my rook devices.

No, I want to close the app and close the song

I go to Settings > Music and I see Cellular data, add songs, sync library (and apparently if I turn that off everything is shut down, except that doesn't actually shut anything down on the phone, download in dolby, automatic downloads, sound checks. How about turning it off?

The music starts up when I put in the earphones.

Then I have to find the app, the playlist and then swipe up because the music is in the background. The app isn't open like any other app. I have to open the playlist to close it. That's special

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 10:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 9:33 AM

Did you read my original note? Apparently not. This just temporarily stops the music until I plug the earphones in again. Then the process starts anew. By going in and turning off SYNC was how I was able to stop the Music APP from starting every time I put in the earphones.

6 replies

Jul 20, 2023 10:47 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

There is no "Off" in a digital music player. There certainly has never been such a feature on an iPhone. "Pause" is functionally the same. If the music is not playing, it's not draining your battery.

However, if this really bothers you, you could always force quit the app.

Quit and reopen an app on iPhone - Apple Support

Note that force quitting an app can result in greater battery drain than leaving the app in suspended.

Jul 21, 2023 8:47 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL wrote:

if by "force quit" you mean "unsyncing the library" that can be done. There is no force quit on Music. And unsyncing the library did it. So, to turn back on, I just go through five steps.

No, "force quit" has nothing to do with the library. I gave instructions on how to force quit an app. They are in the link I provided above. Did you read it? I'm guessing no. So, here it is:

To quit the app, open the App Switcher, swipe right to find the app, then swipe up on the app.

Jul 24, 2023 10:03 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL wrote:

Did you read my original note? Apparently not. This just temporarily stops the music until I plug the earphones in again. Then the process starts anew. By going in and turning off SYNC was how I was able to stop the Music APP from starting every time I put in the earphones.

Yes, I did read your original post. But, apparently, you didn't really read any of mine. I'm so glad you found a solution that you are happy with.

Best of luck.

Jul 24, 2023 10:46 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks. Just to be clear, yes, I understand entirely about the pause. I don't want a song just sitting there either, especially one that I have accidentally started. There was a song for two weeks sitting on the phone and I couldn't get it off. Share, save, love, add, JUST DELETE. Go away. Leave. Finish. I had to jump through numerous hoops to finally get it gone. Now, with sync off, it's all off for the time being. I haven't attempted to "Just simply" listen to any of the songs in my libraries since then because I don't want to have to go through Share, save, love, add, move, pause for eternity again.

Turning Music off so it stops draining the battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.