You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I back up my photos to an external drive?

Currently, All my photos are on iCloud storage for a monthly fee. Can I also back up photos on external storage? If so, can I just back up my photos on my device?

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 5:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 12:58 AM

One problem with using iCloud Photos is, that your regular iCloud backup of your iPhone will no longer include the photos (What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support). So you definitely need to make a separate backup.

Do you have a computer as well? With a computer you can backup your iCloud data as described here: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

If you have no computer, you could save your photos on your device by sharing them to Files.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2023 12:58 AM in response to PLFink

One problem with using iCloud Photos is, that your regular iCloud backup of your iPhone will no longer include the photos (What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support). So you definitely need to make a separate backup.

Do you have a computer as well? With a computer you can backup your iCloud data as described here: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

If you have no computer, you could save your photos on your device by sharing them to Files.

Can I back up my photos to an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.