You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can only browse Time machine backups when selecting "other backup disks" and cannot delete backups

Since updating to Ventura, I am unable to browse Time Machine backups normally. I can see the time line on the right going back to 2019 when I started the backup, but nothing happens when I choose a date on the timeline. Similarly nothing happens when I click on the arrows next to the finder window in Time Machine (and all the stacked windows are greyed out)

HOWEVER:

(1) if I hold the alt key and choose the (same) Time Machine backup disk then I can navigate back all the way though the backups right to 2019.

But there is another problem:

(2) if I right click on any file or folder, I used to be able to delete all backups of that specific file or folder. This was useful to create more space on the drive. But now I do not got get the option to delete, only to restore.

I have tried this on many many backups going way back so I know these aren't just snapshots.

The drive is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Can anyone please help ideally with both issues, though (2) is a lot more important than (1) which just seems to be an annoying workaround having to select the drive every time I want to browse backups.

Thanks

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 6:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 7:04 AM

" (2) if I right click on any file or folder, I used to be able to delete all backups of that specific file or folder. This was useful to create more space on the drive. But now I do not got get the option to delete, only to restore. "

That is correct, Only Restore is available.

TM Backup may have offered the Delete Option in some older versions of macOS - but is no longer possible.

Attempting to Prune a TM Backup Drive >>

Deleting TimeMachine backups from an exte… - Apple Community

How to delete old time machine backups? - Apple Community

delete time machine backups - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 2, 2023 7:04 AM in response to petefromsouthampton

" (2) if I right click on any file or folder, I used to be able to delete all backups of that specific file or folder. This was useful to create more space on the drive. But now I do not got get the option to delete, only to restore. "

TM Backup may have offered the Delete Option in some older versions of macOS - but is no longer possible.

Attempting to Prune a TM Backup Drive >>

Deleting TimeMachine backups from an exte… - Apple Community

How to delete old time machine backups? - Apple Community

Aug 3, 2023 4:35 AM in response to petefromsouthampton

petefromsouthampton wrote:

P. Phillips wrote:

Crazy, why would they remove a useful feature?

That question would be better service by asking Apple

Short answer was contained in one of the four previously supposed links

Any idea why I should need to re choose the disk by holding alt key every time I want to browse older files?

Thanks

Can only browse Time machine backups when selecting "other backup disks" and cannot delete backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.