You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not working to see back in time

When I enter Time Machine, I can't scroll back in time. The "back" button and the date scroller on the right side don't seem to work. 

I have 30 backup dates in my TimeMachine and viewing my Downloads folder which has has plenty of changes over time. Can anyone help?

My TM drive is for formatted APFS (Case Sensitive). 

Running latest OS on M1

Steps I've tried;

• Restart Mac
  • Tried deleting the .inProgress file in Backups.backupdb folder but searched and couldn't find this file anvwhere on the TM

Someone recommended using "Shift+cmd+C" which works and allows me to rudimentary ways of viewing folders. However that approach makes it difficult to simply view a folder changing over time by scrolling back and forth.

Why isn't my TM just working as normal? Why do I have to use that command to see back in time?

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 1:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 8:08 AM

JoshD13 wrote:

• When I enter Time Machine, I can't scroll back in time. The "back" button and the date scroller on the right side don't seem to work. 
I have 30 backup dates in my TimeMachine and viewing my Downloads folder which has has plenty of changes over time. Can anyone help?

Running latest OS on M1

Steps I've tried;
Restart Mac
• Tried deleting the .inProgress file in Backups.backupdb folder but searched and couldn't find this file anvwhere on the TM

Someone recommended using "Shift+cmd+C" which works and allows me to rudimentary ways of viewing folders. However that approach makes it difficult to simply view a folder changing over time by scrolling back and forth.
Why isn't my TM just working as normal? Why do I have to use that command to see back in time?

You do not paint a clear picture the history of these backups, upgrades etc.. old issue, new issue or what changed.

You can try holding the Option key and click open the TM icon in the upper right menubar and see if there is "Browse Other BackupDisk" for more access...

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

ref:Back up your Mac Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

if your present BU is corrupt, you can start a new TM backup ...on a new drive or start over w/ the current drive:

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 29, 2023 8:08 AM in response to JoshD13

JoshD13 wrote:

• When I enter Time Machine, I can't scroll back in time. The "back" button and the date scroller on the right side don't seem to work. 

Running latest OS on M1

Steps I've tried;
Restart Mac

You do not paint a clear picture the history of these backups, upgrades etc.. old issue, new issue or what changed.

You can try holding the Option key and click open the TM icon in the upper right menubar and see if there is "Browse Other BackupDisk" for more access...

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

ref:Back up your Mac Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

if your present BU is corrupt, you can start a new TM backup ...on a new drive or start over w/ the current drive:

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Time Machine not working to see back in time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.