You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to find "Other" storage type files

I've been trying to upgrade my OS from Catalina to Big Sur with the hopes that it will help remedy the issues that I've been having with Logic Pro X (sound dropping out completely), but I after downloading Big Sur I don't have enough space to actually install it (27.86GB currently free out of 121.06 GB)

...and yes, I kick myself every day for not springing for a larger hard drive when I bought this macbook. I have several externals hooked up that I've offloaded ALL of my plugins and instrument libraries to, and up until now I've been successful in operating with a smaller internal HD...

Regardless, I currently have 54.72 GB taken up by the "other" category. After googling this I tried sorting through my library folder to try to find unnecessary "other" category files, but noticed that my entire library folder only takes up 14.09 GB.

Any ideas on other places I would find files classified as "other"? is there something common I'm missing?

I want to avoid removing applications if possible, as everything I currently have installed is necessary for my audio work, and it's frustrating to see this massive chunk of my HD be taken up by things I can't find:

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 9:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 9:47 PM

1. In macOS, the "Other" storage category typically represents various types of files that don't fit neatly into other predefined categories like Documents, Photos, or Applications. It can include cached files, system files, temporary files, and more. If you're unable to locate or identify the "Other" storage on your MacBook Pro running macOS 10.15, here are some steps you can take to manage and potentially reduce it:
  2. Use Storage Management:
    1. Go to the Apple menu > "About This Mac" > "Storage."
    2. Click the "Manage…" button. This will open the Storage Management tool.
    3. Review the recommendations provided. macOS may offer options to optimize storage, empty the trash, reduce clutter, and manage files stored in iCloud.
    4. Use the tools provided to clean up unneeded files, especially those in the "Other" category.
  3. Empty Trash:
    1. Make sure you've emptied the trash completely. Files you delete remain in the trash until you empty it.
  4. Clear Browser Cache:
    1. Web browsers often store cached files that can contribute to the "Other" storage. Clear the cache in your web browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.).
  5. Manage iCloud Drive:
    1. If you use iCloud Drive, consider reviewing and cleaning up files stored there.
  6. Check System Storage:
    1. In the Storage Management tool, you can check the breakdown of "System" storage. If it's using a significant amount of space, it might be due to system files and caches. Unfortunately, macOS 10.15 doesn't provide a detailed breakdown of these files.
  7. Run Disk Cleanup Tools:
    1. Third-party tools like CleanMyMac, DaisyDisk, and OnyX can help identify and remove unnecessary files, including cache and system files.
  8. Check Application Cache:
    1. Some applications might store large caches. You can often find cache folders within the Application Support directory in your user Library folder.
  9. Restart Your Mac:
    1. A simple restart can sometimes help clear temporary files and caches.
  10. Manage Downloads Folder:
    1. Check your Downloads folder and delete files you no longer need.
  11. Backup and Reinstall macOS (Advanced):
    1. If you're still unable to locate or manage the "Other" storage and it's causing significant issues, you might consider backing up your data and performing a clean macOS installation.
  12. Remember that managing "Other" storage can sometimes be a bit complex, and it might not be possible to reduce it drastically. It's also important to be cautious when using third-party cleanup tools and to back up your data before making any major changes to your system.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 9, 2023 9:47 PM in response to OthProductions

1. In macOS, the "Other" storage category typically represents various types of files that don't fit neatly into other predefined categories like Documents, Photos, or Applications. It can include cached files, system files, temporary files, and more. If you're unable to locate or identify the "Other" storage on your MacBook Pro running macOS 10.15, here are some steps you can take to manage and potentially reduce it:
  2. Use Storage Management:
    1. Go to the Apple menu > "About This Mac" > "Storage."
    2. Click the "Manage…" button. This will open the Storage Management tool.
    3. Review the recommendations provided. macOS may offer options to optimize storage, empty the trash, reduce clutter, and manage files stored in iCloud.
    4. Use the tools provided to clean up unneeded files, especially those in the "Other" category.
  3. Empty Trash:
    1. Make sure you've emptied the trash completely. Files you delete remain in the trash until you empty it.
  4. Clear Browser Cache:
    1. Web browsers often store cached files that can contribute to the "Other" storage. Clear the cache in your web browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.).
  5. Manage iCloud Drive:
    1. If you use iCloud Drive, consider reviewing and cleaning up files stored there.
  6. Check System Storage:
    1. In the Storage Management tool, you can check the breakdown of "System" storage. If it's using a significant amount of space, it might be due to system files and caches. Unfortunately, macOS 10.15 doesn't provide a detailed breakdown of these files.
  7. Run Disk Cleanup Tools:
    1. Third-party tools like CleanMyMac, DaisyDisk, and OnyX can help identify and remove unnecessary files, including cache and system files.
  8. Check Application Cache:
    1. Some applications might store large caches. You can often find cache folders within the Application Support directory in your user Library folder.
  9. Restart Your Mac:
    1. A simple restart can sometimes help clear temporary files and caches.
  10. Manage Downloads Folder:
    1. Check your Downloads folder and delete files you no longer need.
  11. Backup and Reinstall macOS (Advanced):
    1. If you're still unable to locate or manage the "Other" storage and it's causing significant issues, you might consider backing up your data and performing a clean macOS installation.
  12. Remember that managing "Other" storage can sometimes be a bit complex, and it might not be possible to reduce it drastically. It's also important to be cautious when using third-party cleanup tools and to back up your data before making any major changes to your system.

Unable to find "Other" storage type files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.