You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Apple ID from Outlook to icloud

My icloud account was set up years ago before I had an iPhone with my Outlook email. Now I would like to create an icloud email account. I have viewed the articles on creating a new Apple ID and have gotten nowhere. I am currently signed in and went to system preferences and clicked on icloud. I get the query to choose my Apple ID and hit OK. It then confirms the address chosen and I click OK. After, it loops back to "You cannot change your icloud email address after creating it" and I get nowhere. Do I need to sign out on my Mac and iPhone first? I'm afraid of being locked out and want to get the sequence right.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 1:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 1:59 PM

You don't need to create a new Apple ID, but you need to change your Outlook account to iCloud account, see -> Change your Apple ID -> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support (SG)

• If you are no longer using the email address that's associated with your Apple ID, you can change it. You won’t lose access to your contacts, purchases or other account information.

• If you can’t change your Apple ID

👉 If you're trying to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

Then see this Apple article: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2023 1:59 PM in response to MsActs1728

You don't need to create a new Apple ID, but you need to change your Outlook account to iCloud account, see -> Change your Apple ID -> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support (SG)

• If you are no longer using the email address that's associated with your Apple ID, you can change it. You won’t lose access to your contacts, purchases or other account information.

• If you can’t change your Apple ID

👉 If you're trying to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

Then see this Apple article: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Aug 13, 2023 7:56 PM in response to Limnos

Thank you Limnos. Yes, I only need to create an iCloud email address. I've not had any luck doing it on my Mac and decided to try on the iPhone. It seems to be working -- it has been spinning on Confirm Email for a bit. Perhaps it is checking all of the other variations of my email address from previous attempts. I will check back on it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Changing Apple ID from Outlook to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.