You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac freezes when I try to set up family sharing

My Mac freezes when I try to set up family sharing. All I get is a white pop-up window.

I am also unable to set up family sharing through my iPhone. When I try, I get a message that my email address is "already used for shared purchases" in my family name and then says I should request an invitation from myself to join family sharing.

Latest software is on phone and Mac. Yes, I've read the guides on how to set it up, but they are not helpful in this situation.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 5:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 9:01 PM

This solution is not working for me. I followed the steps, and the problem persists. My problem: I tick System Settings. I tick on my name. I tick Family Sharing. I tick Set Up Family. A black rectangle appears and then the screen is frozen. I can do nothing except go into Activity Monitor to Force Quit System Settings. Safe Mode isn't solving the problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2023 9:01 PM in response to bryanr14

This solution is not working for me. I followed the steps, and the problem persists. My problem: I tick System Settings. I tick on my name. I tick Family Sharing. I tick Set Up Family. A black rectangle appears and then the screen is frozen. I can do nothing except go into Activity Monitor to Force Quit System Settings. Safe Mode isn't solving the problem.

Aug 31, 2023 1:04 PM in response to Douglas110

Hello Douglas110,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. Our recommendation is to restart your Mac in safe mode. This is a step that helps verify your startup disk, deletes some system caches and more. Once the Mac is in safe mode, please restart it as normal and see if you can complete the set up process for Family Sharing. Here's how to restart a Mac in safe mode:

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode
1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
4. Select a volume.
5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
2. Log in to your Mac.
3. You might be asked to log in again.
4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Following these steps can help and is outlined in this article: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Kind regards.

Mac freezes when I try to set up family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.