You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color fill linked to a percentage of the cell size

I was wondering if it is possible to have a variable colour fill that is linked to a percentage.

By that I mean when the percentage is zero that there is no colour fill, at 50% then the cell is half filled with colour, and at 100% then it is completely colour filled.

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 6:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 7:37 PM

Not directly, the color is fixed for each conditional highlighting rule and is not controllable by external forces (except maybe by AppleScript though, I'm not sure, but you'd have to run the script each time you change a value.)

What you can do to cheat that is define a bunch of rules that use the same color but with decreasing opacity as the value goes down. Here I only have three rules, you can make as many as you want levels of shading.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 5, 2023 7:37 PM in response to scatrdj

Not directly, the color is fixed for each conditional highlighting rule and is not controllable by external forces (except maybe by AppleScript though, I'm not sure, but you'd have to run the script each time you change a value.)

What you can do to cheat that is define a bunch of rules that use the same color but with decreasing opacity as the value goes down. Here I only have three rules, you can make as many as you want levels of shading.

Sep 6, 2023 4:46 AM in response to scatrdj

Hi scatrdj,

I admire the reply by Recycleur using opacity. Thank you Recycleur!

Another way to cheat is to use extra columns in the table to mimic a graph.

Formula in C3: IF($B3≥C$1,"Y","")

Fill down to the bottom of the table and fill right to column M.

Now select cells C3 to M11 and apply Conditional Highlighting to both Text and Colour Fill (green):

Now tidy up.

Hide Row 1.

Have a play with Format > Cell > Border > Border Styles

Regards,

Ian.

Color fill linked to a percentage of the cell size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.