You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Squiggly lines because of my screen protector.

I bought the iPad Pro 12.9" M2 today and I got a glass screen protector. Now whenever I draw diagonally with my Apple Pencil 2 the lines come out squiggly and the same problem used to happen on my older iPad Air when I had a glass screen protector on it too and when I removed the screen protector on it the lines were back to normal and so I'm considering removing my current glass screen protector from my iPad pro. are there any good glass/tempered glass screen protectors that for a fact won't cause the squiggly lines problem?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 3:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 8:30 AM

Use of a screen protector is largely personal choice - but there are considerations.

iPad screens are robust, but the anti-reflection treatment and oleophobic coating can be easily damaged by tiny grit/dust particles that are unavoidable in many environments. The oleophobic coating is a chemical sacrificial layer that will wear-out over time.

Your iPad screen is the single most expensive component of your iPad - whereas a screen protector is sacrificial layer that, if damaged, is easy and relatively cheap to replace.

Zagg and OtterBox are amongst the better manufacturers of tempered glass screen protectors - with good reputation. Always choose a screen protector from a well known brand - choosing a screen protector that is specifically designed for your iPad model.

Some users comment that a glass screen protector makes the screen very slippery when using the Apple Pencil. The alternative is a matt/textured film screen protector - but these have two principal disadvantages.

1) The textured film reduces clarity and contrast

2) Accelerated wear of the Pencil tip, necessitating frequent tip replacement.

Good quality tempered glass screen protectors from reputable manufacturers, that are designed for your iPad, will have absolutely no impact upon sensitivity or performance of the screen or usability of an Apple Pencil. By contrast, cheap “generic” screen protectors of any type, whether glass or film, can cause problems. The good options often include a money back guarantee.

Of available options, Zagg arguably have the best reputation; you are very unlikely to find reported issues or complaint with their screen protector products.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2023 8:30 AM in response to Roei090

Use of a screen protector is largely personal choice - but there are considerations.

iPad screens are robust, but the anti-reflection treatment and oleophobic coating can be easily damaged by tiny grit/dust particles that are unavoidable in many environments. The oleophobic coating is a chemical sacrificial layer that will wear-out over time.

Your iPad screen is the single most expensive component of your iPad - whereas a screen protector is sacrificial layer that, if damaged, is easy and relatively cheap to replace.

Zagg and OtterBox are amongst the better manufacturers of tempered glass screen protectors - with good reputation. Always choose a screen protector from a well known brand - choosing a screen protector that is specifically designed for your iPad model.

Some users comment that a glass screen protector makes the screen very slippery when using the Apple Pencil. The alternative is a matt/textured film screen protector - but these have two principal disadvantages.

1) The textured film reduces clarity and contrast

2) Accelerated wear of the Pencil tip, necessitating frequent tip replacement.

Good quality tempered glass screen protectors from reputable manufacturers, that are designed for your iPad, will have absolutely no impact upon sensitivity or performance of the screen or usability of an Apple Pencil. By contrast, cheap “generic” screen protectors of any type, whether glass or film, can cause problems. The good options often include a money back guarantee.

Of available options, Zagg arguably have the best reputation; you are very unlikely to find reported issues or complaint with their screen protector products.

Squiggly lines because of my screen protector.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.